Is more than 5% minoxidil really worth it?

bluechips

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw that Dr. Lee offers 12.5 and 15% minoxidil. I think both products are relatively new so people may not have good indications if they really work better than 5%, but I was just wondering that if >5% was really better, wouldn't Rogaine have come out with the product since they have been selling minoxidil for 18 years now (and probably testing minoxidil for at least a few more)?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Sometimes, 5% won't help some people at all. And sometimes it does, but loses its effectiveness over the long haul.

Hence the higher concentrations which may be of help to some in those instances.

I guess an option to going to higher concentrations like the 12.5 or 15% solutions, would be to simply use the 5% 3 - 4x daily.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
bluechips said:
I saw that Dr. Lee offers 12.5 and 15% minoxidil. I think both products are relatively new so people may not have good indications if they really work better than 5%, but I was just wondering that if >5% was really better, wouldn't Rogaine have come out with the product since they have been selling minoxidil for 18 years now (and probably testing minoxidil for at least a few more)?

You know I've kinda wondered about that myself. I was thinking, if it could be done, why hasn't a big company tried to make an even more concentrated form. Oh well, maybe I'll check it out myself one day when I give the 5% a little more time to pay it's toll on me.