Is Male Diffuse Thinning The Same As Female Pattern Baldness?

afferd

Reaction score
@David_MPN raised an interesting idea in another thread:
Perhaps diffuse thinning and female pattern hair loss are the same thing

I'm a diffuse thinner with no obvious receding hairline or specific balding areas. So far I appear to be a non-responder to finasteride and dutasteride.

If I look at my mother (60s), old aunts (70s) and grandmothers (80s & 90s) - you wouldn't describe any of them as having a "full head of hair". None of them are bald, but they've all lost density over the years (probably a little more than the average woman as they age).

The fact remains, the average woman does lose density in the top half of their scalp.
(studies I've found suggest 40% of women by age 40, 50% of women by age 50, etc.)

DHT seems to affect miniaturisation in women in just the same was as men (they just have lower levels of it) and they don't have specific regions of follicles in the traditional bald spots men have that are primed to die off (typical age related hairloss for women tends to affect the whole of the top half of the head).

Are there any studies that correlate high DHT test results in women with hair loss?

And if not what are the other potential factors known to contribute to female pattern baldness that we could potentially learn from to help us (men) in our fight against specifically diffuse thinning?​

Feel free to share ideas...