Is It Worth Getting A Skin Perimeter On A Swiss Lace System For A Longer Bond?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am curious about lace hair systems with skin perimeters. I was reading that if you have a skin perimeter on a lace system, you can keep the unit bonded for several weeks at a time as you would just put the tape or glue round the skin perimeter and it won't seep through.

Generally with full lace systems, it's recommended we remove and clean them about once a week or so to keep them in best condition and avoid any adhesive seeping into the lace. However, if there's a way to extend the time we can wear them between each removal, then it's worth looking into.

So I would like to ask, is it more of an advantage to get a lace system with a skin perimeter? What are the pros and cons of these types of systems? Would a system last less time with a skin perimeter?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Skin will tend to wear out quicker than lace, so you might have to change your pieces more often than lace alone.

I wear lace with a poly perimeter and on average get 2-weeks before needing to reattach. Not sure I would want any longer for hygiene and bond reasons. 8-months per system.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Skin will tend to wear out quicker than lace, so you might have to change your pieces more often than lace alone.

I wear lace with a poly perimeter and on average get 2-weeks before needing to reattach. Not sure I would want any longer for hygiene and bond reasons. 8-months per system.

Ok, you say skin wears out quicker than lace, but what about if the skin is only on the perimeter? You say you get 8 months out of your system - that is quite a long time. Most people reckon the average system will last for 3 to 4 months!

And 2 weeks attached sounds about right with a skin perimeter. I think you wouldn't want to leave it attached any longer not only for hygiene reasons, but also because you would need to shave the hair underneath (if there is any).

Last edited:

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even quicker if at the perimeter with adhesive pulling.
8 months at peak condition before I retire it. Been consistent like that for a few years.
How long its comfortably attached depends not just on the tape, but your own body chemistry, activity and climate/weather and it can change over time.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
You mean lace with a poly perimeter, not "skin". They put a ring of poly OVER the lace, effectively sealing the knots.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If its a poly perimeter I recommend. If its UTS at the perimeter, I have seen it but my answer above holds.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You mean lace with a poly perimeter, not "skin". They put a ring of poly OVER the lace, effectively sealing the knots.

I think I was getting confused between 'skin' and 'poly'. The latter is a thicker sort of skin, right? And is 'PU' the same thing as 'poly'?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I was getting confused between 'skin' and 'poly'. The latter is a thicker sort of skin, right? And is 'PU' the same thing as 'poly'?

They are all basically the same material, just different thicknesses. PU = Polyurethane.

Skin systems are usually referred to bases that are 0.08mm and thinner.