Is it safe to cut a full year supply of fincar/proscar and

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
...store it in a bottle? Would cutting them and storing it away in a bottle cause the pill to lose its effectiveness in anyway?

If I do it this way I would only have to sit here and cut all the pills one time and whole supply will last me a whole year. Before I start cutting all of them I would like to make sure it is going to be as effective as if I were to cut 1 pill every 4-5 days.

beaner

Reaction score
Why do you have to do that? You can't be that busy that you can't cut them up by the week are you? It takes a couple minutes a week to cut your pills.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
you stop finasteride, you will gradually go back to baseline...and maybe it will get worse.

CCS

Reaction score
wow. I take a second to cut mine each day.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I read its NOT a good idea to cut all your proscar tablets at once since they do lose efficiency. I think its because of the air/humidity exposure for long periods of time. I'm not sure if there is a study on this but it is also a gut feeling. Its best to keep it safe and cut them every 3 days and make sure you keep them stored in a dark cool place.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to doubt that finasteride is all that sensitive to heat/humidity/oxidation, as long as you use a little common sense and store it in a reasonable manner (like in a tightly-sealed brown glass bottle in a cool, dark, dry location).

In the old stumptailed macaque studies with finasteride, the drug was given to the animals as a powder on a piece of fruit, so it can't be all THAT sensitive.

However, having said all that, I think it would probably be prudent not to cut-up an entire year's worth of tablets at a time. Why not just a week's worth or a month's worth at a time?

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I tend to doubt that finasteride is all that sensitive to heat/humidity/oxidation, as long as you use a little common sense and store it in a reasonable manner (like in a tightly-sealed brown glass bottle in a cool, dark, dry location).

In the old stumptailed macaque studies with finasteride, the drug was given to the animals as a powder on a piece of fruit, so it can't be all THAT sensitive.

However, having said all that, I think it would probably be prudent not to cut-up an entire year's worth of tablets at a time. Why not just a week's worth or a month's worth at a time?

A months worth at one time sounds good.

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I cut about 5 - 10 at a time and take half to work with me to leave there... that way I can never forget or be unable to take it. I wouldn't have the effort to sit and cut up a whole box of Proscar, let alone a year's supply!

...and while we're on that topic my pill cutter sucks ***! I can't cut a Proscar tablet half as well with it as I can with a bloody knife. I've tried to cut other tablets too and it still doesn't work.

...and I don't know about the Proscar available overseas but the one I have is definitely not a convenient shape for cutting in quarters. WTF? If the dosage requirement is a quarter per day, shouldn't it be round? ...or square? ...or what about smaller tablets? (I suppose that would be TOO convenient - you only have to deal with it once every four days!)

:roll:

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maxpwr said:
...and I don't know about the Proscar available overseas but the one I have is definitely not a convenient shape for cutting in quarters. WTF? If the dosage requirement is a quarter per day, shouldn't it be round? ...or square? ...or what about smaller tablets? (I suppose that would be TOO convenient - you only have to deal with it once every four days!)

:roll:

Well Max, its not a convenient shape because the medicine is supposed to be taken at 5mg/dose. Remember Merck makes two presentations of finasteride; propecia and proscar....And they want you to buy the more expensive one, which is as we know propecia. So Merck isn't really going to help us by manufacturing a decent proscar shape suitable for cutting.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose Max is wondering why Merck isn't kind enough to SCORE Proscar tablets in a cross shape, to make it as easy as possible for us to split them into four perfect quarters!! :D

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
...but nobody takes the whole 5mg proscar at a time do they?

What is the price difference between Proscar & Propecia? Is it much?

If they're both made by Merck Sharp & Dohme then what is the difference between the two? They both contain the same finasteride don't they?

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maxpwr said:
...but nobody takes the whole 5mg proscar at a time do they?

What is the price difference between Proscar & Propecia? Is it much?

If they're both made by Merck Sharp & Dohme then what is the difference between the two? They both contain the same finasteride don't they?

Max, some people actually take the 5mg dose in proscar. Proscar is intended for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) patients. Propecia is for hairloss patients which require a 1mg dose. Hence, you see the dosage differences between the two, and comparatively, propecia being much pricier.

Cassin

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I suppose Max is wondering why Merck isn't kind enough to SCORE Proscar tablets in a cross shape, to make it as easy as possible for us to split them into four perfect quarters!! :D

You think its intentional? I have always wondered that.