Is it possible?

DeRel

Reaction score
I am 21 yrs old. I started on 1.25mg of finasteride 2 weeks ago and from the first 5 days my hairloss stopped completely. (could this happen?)
I mean i run my hand through my hair all the time now and not a single hair comes out!
I am really amazed cause for the past 6 years i have been losing hair, on my pillow.. in the shower.. everywhere and lots of it.
i cant believe it has stopped in just 5 days.. im so happy and feeling so much better with myself.
Even though i was worried, i have not seen any side-effects at all! well.. yet

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes it's possible, mine stopped after a couple of weeks, you will find that it works in cycles though so expect it to start falling out again.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UK78 said:
Yes it's possible, mine stopped after a couple of weeks, you will find that it works in cycles though so expect it to start falling out again.

Lol, no sh*t. After week 1 on finasteride my hair stopped falling out. Now, a week later, its shedding again. I thought I was cured hehe.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me...lasted maybe a couple of weeks. You'll likely start losing again at the same rate you were before...so be prepared for that. But, if you're like me, it'll be a stop/start kind of thing for a couple of months until it settles down.

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
If you started propecia today and theoreticaly it stopped all dht and hair loss you would still have hair falling from 3 to six months. Dont forget when a hair goes into telogen (dead) it takes 3 to six months to fall out of your head. So a hair that falls out today was actually doomed three to six months ago. Therefore it is unlikely finasteride can arrest hair loss that quick unless you have a radiculously fast telogen phase. That is why on there sight they say you may see a decrease in loss at 3 months. If you think about it it makes sense.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Please correct me if Im wrong, but as I understand it it largely doesn't matter how much hair you lose, or not as the case maybe, but it's that those who suffer from male pattern baldness don't re-grow the hair lost naturally like others do.

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
That is true from what I have heard. But the way my male pattern baldness is progressing is largely through rapid shedding. If I am loosing 300-500 a day there is no way I can muke up that deficit. So if I can slow the shed that seems like it would help.

DeRel

Reaction score
oh i see.. ( i shouldnt be so happy then :) )
so how long do these cycles continue for usualy..
and after they settle down does your hairloss stop? or does it just slows it down..

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
derel, forget your hair for a while... u still have a loooooong way to go!

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
MPBWarrior said:
derel, forget your hair for a while... u still have a loooooong way to go!

Yep...I'm 3 months in and it feels like I've been popping pills forever.

blandflabbis

Reaction score
jj_24 said:
If you started propecia today and theoreticaly it stopped all dht and hair loss you would still have hair falling from 3 to six months. Dont forget when a hair goes into telogen (dead) it takes 3 to six months to fall out of your head. So a hair that falls out today was actually doomed three to six months ago. Therefore it is unlikely finasteride can arrest hair loss that quick unless you have a radiculously fast telogen phase. That is why on there sight they say you may see a decrease in loss at 3 months. If you think about it it makes sense.

I know it's hard to believe sometimes, but this is your answer. It's virtually impossible that you'd experience any increase or decrease of hairs falling out within a week of taking the tablets because of the amount of time it takes hairs to fall out - as JJ_24 says this takes between 1-3 months. At least it's virtually impossible that Propecia would cause this, it could just be a natural fluctuation in your hair cycle.