Is it possible that i have Telogen Effluvium?

sdkkds

Reaction score
Please forgive my spelling, i am from Norway and i am dyslectic (you try spelling it when you have it :lol: ) And i have written while i was thinking so it might not be well written at all.

First let me give you a little info about my hair. I have always had thick hair, so thick that my hairdresser has threatened to price his cut's by the KG (2 pounds i think) of hair. But now i feel that it has gotten a lot thiner lately, and that my hair line is receding. But i am not sure how my hair line was before. And i also feel that one of the sides is getting thinner. used to have my hair down my forehead. But now i have it combed backwards, just like in american psycho if you have seen the movie. This all started about 4 weeks ago and i am gooing crasy. I feel as though i can't go on without my hair. I have an apointmend with my dermatlologist in 13 days. But that is so far off. I am 20 years old by the way. I have asked both my hairdresser who said that i had other things to worry about. Like the weather. And i also go to a woman who presses under the sole of your foot to see diffrent thing. You know alternative medesine. And she has alway been right about my issues, she can tell me when i have a bad back and such without me telling her first. And she checked my hormones by toucing under my feet and told me that i had nothing to worry about. And that my hair line had always been like that. And that i still had the thickest hair se had ever seen. But i have started rubbing the sides and felling them all the time latel. Could i be tearing the out. And i am sure i brush my hair 100 times a day now. And i have used moose to get that slick hairline back. and that has caused a lot of tearing as i have added the moose when the hair was dry. And it get's real hard fast. (I have been out to look in the mirror and brush my hair twice while writing this.) Could this be the reason if my hairline is getting smaller/bigger you know what i mean. That i am nearly plucking out my hairs by brushing and rubbing the hairline all the time.

I have had a red scalp and dandruf for about 5 years. And i feel like i am loosing a lot of hair when i pull my fingers thorugh my hair. And i get around 15-20 hairs in my hand when i shower.

But let me give you a little background about what has happened over the last 4 months.

In june my dog got a heart dicease, not fatal but still. We thought he was gooing to die and we are still afraid of it. This happened two days before we went on vacation. When we where on vacation, all of our fishes died. When we got home after three weeks. My grandmother who had watched our dog took ill. She was in the hospitle for 4 weeks before she died in the beggining of august. She had had old persons leukimia for 6 years and i have gone in a state of ever fear that she might have died. That was when i started to worry about the hair loss. But i could not see it then. And i have also had a couple of things that might not seem that important to you but they where to me because i have been felling that everything is gooing poorly in my life. And last sunday, when i really tipped over on to the insane. our tennant who was also our cleaning lady died of a heart attack 65 years old. And left behind a mentaly challenged son. And two years ago my father died. He had a lot of hair when he died. But he did never have as thick hair as me.

In april i bought a 10000 dollar plasma tv. And it did not work the way it should have worked. And then i started to feel like nothing in my life was working. And then i got my new computer 2 weeks ago and it did not work either. And then all of sudden i am loosing my hair so now i won't have that either.

I also started exersising in april because i was a little fat. And i stopped eating diary, because i think i am lactose intolerant. I have lost 25 pounds.

Is it possible that i am not loosing my hair permanently. And that it is just stress. Because as you might understand i have been stressing a lot lately.

And i have one more thing also. Two days before my grandmother died i started to see green flshes spots in my vision. And that caused me to become extremly affraid of gooing blind.

And i feel that i may have supressed my grandmothers death, and that i have not been able to mourn her the way i should. Could y be taking my agression angciety out on my hair and eyes.

And my hair has always been important to me. As a 20 year old man i am only 5,7 tall and i have a big head. My hair has been the only physical thing that i have been pleased about.

And another thing. both of my grandfaters started loosing their hair when they where around 50. But none of them had nearly as thick or as much hair as me.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
The only way to know for sure is to have a lab test done. You need to test for DHT, testosterone, &c., as well as thyroid (i.e., TSH, T4, T3).

For now, there is a simple at home test you can do to see if you may have Telogen Effluvium.

Pinch a lock of hair from various parts of your head. Quickly jerk, and count the number of hairs you have pulled out. If you have pulled out >15 per pull, you may be suffering from Telogen Effluvium.

No need to do this excessivley. And don't worry about that lost hair. It was going to come out anyway.

NB - Telogen Effluvium is rare. male pattern baldness is easily diagnosed. Assess your hairloss by using the Norwood scale as well.

sdkkds

Reaction score
I do not loose 15+ hair when i pull. i loose 1 at the max. And like i said before i am not sure if i am loosing my hair. I am not on the Norwood scale yet anyway. I have a feeling like i said before that i might be taking my frustration out on my hair. At least i hope so. But i have a dermotologist apointment on the 20 october.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
First, do not rely on what your Dermatologist says. The only thing that will tell you if you have Telogen Effluvium is time. I don't mean to be rough, but the stress you described doesn't seem high enough to cause Telogen Effluvium. I was diagnosed with Telogen Effluvium several months ago by my Derm (who's also my Father), because I had a clear inciting event about 3 months before I started noticing the hairloss which is totally consistent with Telogen Effluvium. The events that caused the stress in my life seem much more devastating than what you have been going through, not to downplay the deaths to people close to you, but mine was truly life altering and devastating on many levels and haunts me to this moment. I may have had Telogen Effluvium, but now I have male pattern baldness and its not stopping and its rapid. I am 34 years old and have always had very thick hair and I kept the hope of Telogen Effluvium alive for nearly a year now, but things have gotten so bad that I have abandoned the Telogen Effluvium entirely - I am going bald and no treatment will prevent it. I am not saying the same is happening to you, but go on with your life and ignore the hairloss and hopefully it'll stop. If it doesn't it doesn't, but don't dwell on it and don't put stock in your Derm's opinion. Like I said my Father, a Dermatologist who seen approximately 1,000 cases of Telogen Effluvium in his 35 year career, told me he was absolutely convinced I had Telogen Effluvium and it would stop and as it turns out he was wrong.

If it is Telogen Effluvium the best thing to do is ignore it and not to stress over it, but I think a lot of people make the mistake of trying to find reasons why they probably have Telogen Effluvium, and usually they are just losing their hair. There are worse things. Good luck.