Is it normal to lose hair after having a baby?

jumpinggreedy

Reaction score
I also had an unusual hair loss after I gave birth but I don't mind it at all before. Though, I feel it is alarming. My sister has the same experience now. What's your verdict about this? Is it normal to lose hair after having a baby?

Fall

Reaction score
To lose the hair after birth is a totally normal phenomena. You can look it up in the internet as well. There are some good articles about this topic out there. This hair loss happens because of hormonal changes in the woman's body after giving birth but it can also be intensified by anemia. Unfortunately, there is no cure-it all remedy for this. Take some supplements that are known to promote hair growth like biotin and you could get your blood checked (like you get all the time when you are pregnant), to see if you have a lack of iron (which is fairly common as well).

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also had an unusual hair loss after I gave birth but I don't mind it at all before. Though, I feel it is alarming. My sister has the same experience now. What's your verdict about this? Is it normal to lose hair after having a baby?

very very common

Reaction score
It is very normal to lose hair after giving birth and the reason is during pregnancy, changes in your hormone levels cause your hair to stay in a resting phase for longer so you lose less hair on a daily basis.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's postpartum Telogen Effluvium. That happened to me three months after the birth of my first. When I was pregnant, I lost much, much less hair than I normally did, due to high estrogen and progesterone levels during pregnancy, which causes hair to remain in the anagen phase longer. God, my hair never looked so good! Then it started falling out like you could not imagine. My vacuum literally got clogged (I had carpets at the time) and shut off due to so many hairs all over the place. Talk about panic. Anyway, I think it lasted maybe two months (that was over 20 years ago so it's hard to remember), and all of it grew back.

AlexandraDinu

Reaction score
yes

i know a lot of women that had this problem. some more than others. it has somethig to do with hormonal imbalance. and i also think it can be from the stress of being a new mother

AlexieJ

Reaction score
The hair loss after giving birth might be because of the hormonal imbalance and it is normal. If it is severe better to consult your doctor as it can be because of other reason.

hennry

Reaction score
This is normal!! Normally, you lose about 100 to 125 hairs a day, but after delivery, you may be losing about 500 a day.its due to hormonal changes in your body.