Is It Normal To Loose A Small Handful Of Hairs From A System When Coming?

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve had the system for just over month and I’m finding some hairs are beginning to fall. Is there a way to minimise this?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's totally normal for a system to lose hairs. The question is how much, how often, and is it overall or just in some areas?

Given the above, it depends on what is causing the hair to come out. It also depends on what kind of hair system you have?

You didn't say if you had lace or poly. If poly, how is. the hair attached... v-lopped or injected. Knotted lace should not significantly shed unless it is not cared for. V-looped and injected systems tend to shed, and don't last as long as knotted lace.

Provide some more information, and we can further guide you, not enough information to go on, now.

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Appreciate the response as always. It’s a lace system with poly around the rim where I glue it to my head. I only wash it once per week but condition it daily with the leave-in conditioner

The hairloss seems to be around the middle of the system rather than the sides. About 3-5 hairs in my hand every time I run my fingers through.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Appreciate the response as always. It’s a lace system with poly around the rim where I glue it to my head. I only wash it once per week but condition it daily with the leave-in conditioner

The hairloss seems to be around the middle of the system rather than the sides. About 3-5 hairs in my hand every time I run my fingers through.

3-5 hairs is not a lot, but I would potentially expect that from brushing, not from just running the hands through the hair. You say you condition, so the hair should be smooth, relatively. And I would not expect this every time you touch it.

I tend to see some shedding when the system is new, and then after a couple of months of wear.

So the next question is what happens when you wash the system, or brush it?

I would definitely contact the seller and say that you are seeing shedding. It could be that the knots are coming lose (single knots used instead of double knots, maybe) or are the hairs breaking off above the knots? I had the latter in my first system, when the used "14 human grey hair (you never do that).

Let me know.

Steve

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are a few hairs on the brush after brushing. Just had a wash now... it’s softer now, not falling out when I run my fingers through. Don’t think the hair was snapping - I think it was coming from the lace. Will deffo contact the seller. Would tdi knot sealer be useful?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are a few hairs on the brush after brushing. Just had a wash now... it’s softer now, not falling out when I run my fingers through. Don’t think the hair was snapping - I think it was coming from the lace. Will deffo contact the seller. Would tdi knot sealer be useful?

It's the kind of thing you would need to see under magnification. Or, you can look and see if there are broken off hairs on the topside of the lace. I personally do NOT have good experience with knot sealers. I don't think they work, and can potentially interfere with the bond.

S.

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's the kind of thing you would need to see under magnification. Or, you can look and see if there are broken off hairs on the topside of the lace. I personally do NOT have good experience with knot sealers. I don't think they work, and can potentially interfere with the bond.

S.

IMO, knot sealers will interfere with the natural flow of the hair. Just like everything in the craft, it's a tradeoff between presentation and durability.