Is it dangerous to accidentally take 2 doses of Propecia?

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't make much of a difference , as long as it doesn't happen often. I would skip a dose tommorow and start again the day after. Nothing to worry about.

JohnC43

Established Member
Reaction score
Do I have to skip a dose? I would rather take too much than too little and risk losing hair as long as it isn't harmful taking 2.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No, you will be alright. Taking two 1mg of finasteride will just be a waste as it will only offer little to no bennefit. The effects from 1mg of finasteride last days before your hormones return to normal.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JohnC43 said:
I forgot I took one this morning and accidentally took a second dose

As Fundi pointed out, early human volunteers took as much as 80 mg of finasteride (!) every day for several months, with no problems. Others took as much as 400 mg of finasteride (!!) in a single dose, again with no apparent problem.

If you took every single pill in a previously unopened bottle of Propecia tablets (for a total of 100 mg of finasteride), I wouldn't expect any particular problems, except possibly for some stomach upset from swallowing that many pills (yet another reason not to swallow pills whole, but to chew them up before swallowing).

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are you sure Bryan?

Why do some people get side effects?
If you took all the pills wouldn't that mean you would have completely limited your DHT in your body?
I don't get this , this has to be very damaging messing with hormones like that..

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Decro, I do not believe 300mg of finasteride limits a significantly larger amount of finasteride than say, 2.5mg.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Are you sure Bryan?

That information is straight out of the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference).

decro435 said:
Why do some people get side effects?

Obviously from the chronic sharp reduction in DHT. When I said "with no apparent problem" before, I was referring to obvious signs of toxicity that one would expect with a drug overdose. I didn't mean to imply that nobody got the side effects that some people complain about even while taking TINY doses like 1 mg/day (Propecia).

decro435 said:
If you took all the pills wouldn't that mean you would have completely limited your DHT in your body?

Finasteride has a pretty "flat" dose-response curve, and taking 100 mg all at once is only going to prevent a little more DHT from forming than a smaller dose like 5 mg. And things would be back to normal after about 1-2 weeks.

decro435 said:
I don't get this , this has to be very damaging messing with hormones like that..

If you're that worried about reducing DHT, finasteride may not be for you.