Is Finasteride effective past the expiration date?

michael35

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was off Finasteride for approximately 6 months, but have decided to begin taking it again. I take the generic Finasteride 5mg tablets and cut it into quarters. The last RX I have was filled on 8/20/2011 and it says discard after 8/20/2012. I have 30 pills, so it would last me a while until I have to get a new RX. I was wondering if it will still be effective after the discard date?

Thanks

Dave123

Reaction score
8/20/12 isn't when your pills expire. It's when your PRESCRIPTION expires. The law is that prescriptions expire 1 year after they are filled and you have to go to your doctor and get a new one. Your pills probably expire sometime in 2014 or 2015 if you got them filled at this time last year.

You guys really should do your research before asking such questions.

-dave

michael35

Reaction score
8/20/12 isn't when your pills expire. It's when your PRESCRIPTION expires. The law is that prescriptions expire 1 year after they are filled and you have to go to your doctor and get a new one. Your pills probably expire sometime in 2014 or 2015 if you got them filled at this time last year.

You guys really should do your research before asking such questions.

-dave

Nope. That is why I asked. 8/20/12 is the Discard Date. RX expired 9/8/11.

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.terrierman.com/antibiotics-WSJ.htm imho

- - - Updated - - -

What people don't understand about supplements and drugs is that most if not all of them are designed to become inert after they expire so there is little to no danger to taking them. It protects the makers as much as the cinsumers. People confuse food, which spoils and becomes rancid, with medications/vitamins.

Dave123

Reaction score
I am a pharmacist. I work in a pharmacy. I dispense finasteride everyday. I come across this situation every single day.

The reason your pharmacy wrote DISCARD AFTER 8/20/12 because you picked it up on 8/20/11, and, like I said, once again, they have to tell you that because scripts after 1 year are no good.

The pills themselves expire in 2013-2015. I do this everyday.

michael35

Reaction score
I am a pharmacist. I work in a pharmacy. I dispense finasteride everyday. I come across this situation every single day.

The reason your pharmacy wrote DISCARD AFTER 8/20/12 because you picked it up on 8/20/11, and, like I said, once again, they have to tell you that because scripts after 1 year are no good.

The pills themselves expire in 2013-2015. I do this everyday.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna use what I have and get a new RX sometime next year.

truxton86

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a bottle... that expired in 02 2020.... or so it says on the blister pack... they are actavis brand... they were stored in a dry and dark place most of the time I had them.... I'm not sure when I first got them... but I've been taking like 12 of them or so this month.... do you really think they're ineffective even just after 2 months of the expiry date? thanks

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a bottle... that expired in 02 2020.... or so it says on the blister pack... they are actavis brand... they were stored in a dry and dark place most of the time I had them.... I'm not sure when I first got them... but I've been taking like 12 of them or so this month.... do you really think they're ineffective even just after 2 months of the expiry date? thanks

Yes, probably even after years.