Is 3cm (1.2") too short for a lace/hybrid system?

haudegen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

had a consultation at a salon and they told me to have at least 4cm long hair for the lace/poly hybrid system they recommended.
Usually, I wear about 2.1-2.5cm long wavy natural hair so suddenly having 4cm straight hair would be too big of a change ("unnatural") for me.
3 cm looks like a compromise I could make, but is it suitable for lace?

Thanks!

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that at or around 1 inch the hair might start to stick straight up. 4cm should be ok, but I think 3cm is pushing it and you might have difficulty getting the hair to behave the way you want.

Also keep in mind that you need medium-light to medium density if you are going down that short to achieve decent coverage of the base. Most guys will recommend lower density, because it looks better with the medium length or longer styles most are wearing.

One option would be to perm the hair to lay flat (or how you want it) so that it doesn't stick up and out when it's cut short.

Why are you getting a unit with straight hair? Even if you can't wait for custom, the salon should be able to perm it for you.

If you want to cut the hair to 2cm you can order a custom injected thin skin system with wavy hair, such as this one:

Assuming you don't need to show the hairline, this could be a better option. Just say in the notes to start the wave very close to the base (otherwise the bottom inch or so might be straight hair and you will end up cutting off all the wave).