Is 21 too young for a transplant?

vague

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm considering a hair transplant. I went to one location here in Toronto (sure hair) and they told me that I'm too young for a transplant. This makes sense: I'm only beginning my hair loss, and it would suck to pay a bunch of money and then just lose even more hair.

But couldn't I just get the hair transplant and then keep on dht blockers such as propecia to prevent further hair loss? I think starting early would be a good idea. That means you don't have much space to fill in, and therefore you save your donor areas from overharvesting.

Also the person there said that they didn't do mono follicular grafts. Does this mean that they lack the skill, or is there something bad I don't know about moving single follicles? He seemed intent upon selling me some shampoos and creams, so that sorta set off a flag.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
vague said:
Also the person there said that they didn't do mono follicular grafts. Does this mean that they lack the skill, or is there something bad I don't know about moving single follicles? He seemed intent upon selling me some shampoos and creams, so that sorta set off a flag.
Yeah, I'd be wary of a place that only does the large grafts. :freaked: I'm getting an image of those doll-head plugs of long ago. ...Well, apparently not that long ago.

vague

Reaction score
I already have tried both. While they may have been effective in stopping hair loss, they haven't brought back lost hair.

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
You cant really just get the transplant so your hair looks how it did then assume propecia and rogaine are going to keep the rest of your head in tact. Propecia doesnt stop hairloss, it slows it down. minoxidil isnt a miracle drug either; and that's assuming the two drugs work for you. If you fixed your hair up now your hairloss would no doubt continue and worsen. When people get hairtransplants they dont usually make it so there hair looks perfect (perfect hairline, etc) they factor in their age, too. If you got a transplant now to fix up your hairline (assuming it is hairline you didnt specify) or even the back of your head, its just going to be a series of surgerys and trouble for you down the road. You would probably look rediculous by the time you reached 30-35. Just give it a six or so years and see how male pattern baldness takes a tole on your scalp, then address the issue with surgery. Stay on propecia and minoxidil and slow it as much as possible until then.

eastend

Reaction score
finallyhair said:
You are not too young and it is the perfect time and probably the most important time for surgery. Don't go to a Dr. who says otherwise.
I now have a full head of hair and work with people of all ages who have had the transplants. I could only say that you live around the best Dr. that is available to handle young and older people. I live in the States but have had the pleasure of getting my surgery done in Toronto. Alviarmani is the best Dr. that I know of yet. Maybe they will knock something off of my bill if you say that Jeff from Louisiana sent you. haha
Your views would be great if this was a perfect world and hairloss was not progressive. Sadly, hair loss IS progressive, and in another cruel twist, the earlier you start to lose hair, the more hair you are likely to lose.

Armani does great at restoring guys in their 20s from Norwood 2 or Norwood 2.5 to NW1. If you're one of those guys, good luck when you hit your 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Having lots of hair impacts the girls you get and the self-esteem you live with in your 20s. Looking good in your 40s impacts job promotions, ability to network and make contacts, and net worth. It's just as important to look good later in life.

21 is not too young to have a "full head of hair restored", but it's WAY too early to have it done safely. Vague, you're an adult and you can make your own decisions, but think hard and plan wisely. Don't count on those meds to work forever, or to completely stop your hair loss progression. Think instead that they will slow things down and buy you some time.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Vague, as someone else in their early 20s, I wanted to get a transplant too as soon as I could. It seemed logical. However, do some research. Look up hair multiplication. There are lots of posts on this forum about it. There is some great technology on the horizon that may solve all our problems.

Find a way to deal with what you have now for the next 5-6 years. Save money and start a hair multiplication fund. That way, when this technology is available, you'll not only have the money to pay for it, you will not have the scars on your head that traditional transplants leave.

You'll end up happier in your 30s, 40s, and 50s because hair multiplication will have given you a full head of hair, but you won't have any scars or permanent damage to your head. I know it sucks right now but honestly man, THINK LONG TERM!

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
finallyhair said:
It's quite simple. Proscar amd minoxidil will put a stop to further hair loss in the top back to donor area.

how can you say this,It MIGHT put a stop to you hairloss but theres is nothing that is a 100%
a good chance yes, but 100% no

michael barry

Reaction score
Is 21 too young for a transplant........

Yes, 21 is waaaay to young before a transplant. I have 100 old transplants in my temples from when I was 25. My temple hair, despite propecia has receeded leaving 5-8 hair plugs in my temples. Propeciea only works in the mid anterior scalp and vertex. It blocks 65% of your normal production of DHT. The type 2 alpha 5 reductase enzyme is unaffected by propecia. So your bod is pumping out 35% of its normal production of this hormone, filling your androgen receptors ever so slowly. Normally patients see a 4 year increase in hair counts, a stabilizing year, and a slight yearly decrease in hair FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. If you have started balding as early as I did, chances are at age 70 you were going to be a Norwood 5-6. Hair transplants are awfully thin on these guys this bald. Im getting mine electrolysised away and the skin dermabrated smooth. I'll have to wear studio makeup on my temples for the rest of my life to hide the dotted scar tissue and discoloration. There is a small scar in the back of my head behind my right ear. A transplant Doctor may or may not tell you about these issues. If your gonna do it, opt for a pretty high hairline that conceeds some temporal loss, take the drugs, and get a FUE if you can afford it. Dont wind up like me, with 4 wasted years trying to get out of a bad situation.....have a great eve, M

oliver

Reaction score
finally hair - your results are good but not worth bombarding evry board with the same post - you obviously work for Armani so i think you should really disclose this fact or stop asking everyone for their opinion on evry board around. you are obviously happy with your results as you have told evry hairloss sufferer on the planet - take a chill pill buddy and stop ramming your opinions down evrones throats - i can assure you it is only a matter of time if you keep this up that you will be banned from not only this site but others - then hows that going to make you look -

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
Oliver

you bet me too it

Finallyhair you results are good but you hairloss was not that bad in the first place, i have seen a lot of people get just as good results on finasteride or minoxidil

vague

Reaction score
Thanks for your input everyone. I will consider it well.

I really don't care too much if I go bald at 40 or 50. Baldness at those ages isn't a big deal. It's sort of a hallmark of maturity almost. Baldness at 20- the prime of your life- is much, much worse.

eastend

Reaction score
vague said:
Thanks for your input everyone. I will consider it well.

I really don't care too much if I go bald at 40 or 50. Baldness at those ages isn't a big deal. It's sort of a hallmark of maturity almost. Baldness at 20- the prime of your life- is much, much worse.
Look - I know first hand how difficult it is to look in the mirror in your 20s and see hair disappearing, because it happened to me. But (a) this guy 'finallyhair' is talking nonsense, and (b) you only THINK you won't care about baldness at 40 or 50. There is an awful lot at stake in your 40s and 50s. Look at corporate leaders and presidents and other high ranking public officials. Do you see a lot of baldness or bad hair? Bush vs. Kerry was hair vs. hair. If either one of those guys had been bald it probably wouldn't have been close. As it was, Bush did everything he could to avoid side-by-side photos at the debates, while Kerry did everything he could to get them, because he wanted to exploit the height advantage (appearance in your 40s and 50s matters!!!!). The number of guys like Bruce Willis is way less than the number of guys like Arnold or Stallone. Don't think that the prime of your life is the time when you can get laid the most. When you get older you're going to have job promotions and business deals at stake and you think you can conduct that stuff over the phone, or that your looks won't really make a difference, you need to think again.

From your previous post, you said you're only starting to lose your hair. Here's something else to consider - contrary to the Alvi philosophy, some recession and thinning if completely normal and acceptable. So if you're really just starting to see it, talk to a doctor and get some approval to get on the meds, look at your family history to get an idea of what to expect, and then just wait a few years. If you decide to get a transplant, then for your own sake plan it conservatively. Look at photos of celebrities or whoever, and see what YOU think looks good for an older man, and go from there with a realistic expectation of what to expect. Above all else, pick a good clinic. Sure Hair in Toronto would not be at the top of my list.