is 1.7% of minoxidil absorbed threw the skin?

CCS

Reaction score
i read that only 1.7% of minoxidil is absorbed threw the skin, and the rest dries on the skin. so of 50mg in 1mL, only 0.85mg is absorbed. Does anyone know if that is correct?

i also read that when minoxidil was prescribed for blood pressure, the doses were between 5mg and 100mg. i guess that means anything over 100mg was considered dangerous and anything under 5mg was not therapudic. so i'm assuming from this that if 5mg were absorbed per day, people would notice some blood pressure lowering.

I read elsewhere that 1.5-5% of minoxidil goes systemic. I'm not sure what the difference is between minoxidil that make it threw the skin and minoxidil that goes systemic. Is there one?

i'm asking this because I'm researching the feasibility of a topical.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
From "Percutaneous Absorption of Minoxidil in Man", Thaomas J. Franz, MD, Arch Dermatol 1985; 121:203-206.

"...These data allow one to estimate the magnitude of minoxidil absorption under various clinical conditions. Using the greater of the two average values obtained in this study for the 1% solution, 3.9% of the dose, and assuming application of a 5-ul/sq cm solution to the entire scalp (~600 sq cm), a systemic dose of 1.2 mg per application is obtained. For the 5% minoxidil solution, absorption of 1.8% of the dose would result in a systemic dose of 2.7 mg per application."