Interesting article -- younger guys succumbing to male pattern baldness

kilimanjaro

Reaction score
<url>http://www.kansan.com/stories/2006/nov/15/bald/</url>

Some inaccuracies in there, but good info nonetheless.

G

"They mentioned Hollywood hunks Vin Diesel, Bruce Willis, Kevin Kline and George Clooney as attractive men with receding hairlines."

George Clooney has a receding hairline? I don't think he does, but even if he did, he, Bruce, and Kevin are all at least 40 years old. It's quite different from being 20, in college, and having a horseshoe. All those guys are famous and have a ton of money as well, so it's stupid to showcase these guys as examples to a random kid in college.

"Rebecca Hays, professor of genetics, said the male-pattern baldness gene is a recessive mutation on the x-chromosome."

May be, but that doesn't mean that we all inherit our baldness from the mother's side. I'm patterning my dad.

And no mention of Propecia as well. Hair stylists really do typically know very little about the balding process. They know how to cut the hair of baldies to make them look good, but this is why people should see a dermatologist rather than a hairdresser for balding treatment advice.

Look at this crap:

"KU guys who are never going to attain enough star power to flaunt their baldness are left with only two choices as their hairlines recede.

Like Hollingsworth, the Wichita freshman, they can bemoan their baldness and act as if they lost one of life’s little lotteries. Or, like Towell, the Overland Park freshman, they can accept it, look old enough to get into bars, and even take a shine to bald jokes."

Only two choices huh? And every balding guy at KU will read this and think that he has no shot at treating his baldness. Pretty sad and pathetic.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it's a bad article cause it was written by college boys who know nothing about hairloss. in fact, it seems like professors there know little about it too-"hairloss depends on your mon's side". if that were true, i wouldnt be here in this forum!

kaner529

Reaction score
Im actually taking a genetics class right now as a sophomore in college and we actually had a 10 min lecture one day about male pattern baldness...and pedigree analysis. Male pattern baldness is actually variable in its expressivity. In men the gene is autosomal dominant and in women it is recessive. This means you can inherit the gene from a mother who shows know baldness or a father who doesnt have a hair on his head, or vice versa. I am kind of surprised at how many errors there are in this article....

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
My favorite part of the article is when they say:

"Nioxin is hair plugs that are surgically implemented into the scalp."

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
kaner529 said:
Im actually taking a genetics class right now as a sophomore in college and we actually had a 10 min lecture one day about male pattern baldness...and pedigree analysis. Male pattern baldness is actually variable in its expressivity. In men the gene is autosomal dominant and in women it is recessive. This means you can inherit the gene from a mother who shows know baldness or a father who doesnt have a hair on his head, or vice versa. I am kind of surprised at how many errors there are in this article....

Kaner, did you mean you can inherit the gene from a mother who shows signs of baldness, or one who doesnt?

kaner529

Reaction score
well I was referring to both situations...the gene is said to have variable expressivity and not everyone that has it will show it. So a mother that is not balding could pass along the gene just as well as one who is. On the other hand, if neither or your parents show baldness I would think the chances of you being bald would be dramitcally lower, although not 0 because it all depends on which genes you get from who. Its actually a very interesting part of developmental biology ( the genetics of development that is...)

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
George Clooney has a great hairline..would be happy with that.

r1989

Reaction score
Yep, like someone else said, no mention of Propecia. I mean, come on, it's proven to work, it's easily the best "proven" thing out there. How come like no one knows about it but us?

So

Established Member
Reaction score
If the likelyhood of going bald decreases if you mother and father have full heads of hair then I must have got the bad end of the deal.

Both mother and father have full heads of hair. My mother, thick curly black/brown hair. My father long, really long (like a damn hippy) blonde/brown hair. My hair is basically identical to that of my father with the exception that at 24 years of age I am diffusely balding with recession, aggressively too mind you.

Genetics? It would have to be from my uncle... But I believe there is a greater action contributing to the issue of hair loss in many of us aside from genetic dispositions to DHT etc.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think immune system and genetics have something to do with it. I think some people lose hair for reasons not yet understood. Some people with genetic link lose it due to androgens, but I think some people lose hair more due to their immune system or overproduction of sebum.