Intense workout or long workout

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Which is better for weight loss and fat reduction?

Running at high speed for short periods of time (5 minutes at a time)

Or is it better to run at medium pace speeds for long periods of time (30 minutes +)

CCS

Reaction score
either one. It is the total amount of calories that matters. I don't know if lifting weights increases your metabolism even when you are not working out, or if it does this only after you've built more muscle. Anyway, short fast workouts can be just as good for your endurance as the longer ones, as long as you do at least a certain amount. For weight lifting, 30 is the most reps you ever have to do, as long as you are going to failure with the right weight. There is not point in doing more reps of a lower weight. For running, 60 second sprints in intervals can greatly improve long distance indurance. I keep my cardio to 15-25 minutes.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Both are good.

Your body will respond best if you do both, and "mix it up" for your workouts. Do some that focus on short bursts of energy, and others that focus more on repetition and pushing your limits of fatigue.

G

Yea, you really need to push yourself hard if you want results. I had a friend who lost 130 pounds in the past two years. He started off around 310lbs and now he's around 180 and cut. He ran like crazy. Just push yourself, when you start feeling discomfort because your breathiing a little harder, that is not the time to stop. You have to keep going, because that is what counts. I personally reccommend you start off at a modest pace and run for 30 minutes at maybe 5 miles an hour. Then increase it. Increase. Increase.

IBM

Reaction score
person123? How's your life? If it's calm you should get a stressing life. I gain some 3 pounds because of those stupid weekends in home. And people have the obcession of food. And if we dont like the food people look at us seeking some desease. WHen they realize we're in better shape and mood than them they look at us like we killed someone. Bahhhh I hate it.

IBM

Reaction score
A lot of people are very introspective with others life. They want to know, judge and setence everything. And they talk talk talk talk talk, turkey, cake, cake, turkey....

One day i dinner at those restaurants where we pay at entrance and we eat everything we want. You should see my face of enjoying seeing people of getting food like they never saw it. And they sufferer expressions. Ahahah.

It was like Seven (the movie) where a prisioner eated to no more.

And more it was a noisy group (they ruins the dinner) where they didnt talk, only scream and drink their home alcohol. Pathetic.

G

IBM said:
person123? How's your life? If it's calm you should get a stressing life. I gain some 3 pounds because of those stupid weekends in home. And people have the obcession of food. And if we dont like the food people look at us seeking some desease. WHen they realize we're in better shape and mood than them they look at us like we killed someone. Bahhhh I hate it.

If you are so think IBM, why do you stress over gaining 3 pounds on the weekend? It seems like you could use the weight. right?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Most 5'7" women weigh a lot more than 110lbs.

IBM

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
IBM said:

If you are so think IBM, why do you stress over gaining 3 pounds on the weekend? It seems like you could use the weight. right?

Use the weight? For what?

CCS

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
I personally reccommend you start off at a modest pace and run for 30 minutes at maybe 5 miles an hour. Then increase it. Increase. Increase.

I disagree. 5 is so slow you should be walking. 5 is too much impact and not enough effort. Instead, run 10 miles per hour for 30 seconds and then walk 3-4 miles per hour for 90 minutes, alternating, and gradually change the ratio. If you are using a treadmil, just give it an incline to burn more calories and save your knees.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
badasshairday said:
I personally reccommend you start off at a modest pace and run for 30 minutes at maybe 5 miles an hour. Then increase it. Increase. Increase.

I disagree. 5 is so slow you should be walking. 5 is too much impact and not enough effort. Instead, run 10 miles per hour for 30 seconds and then walk 3-4 miles per hour for 90 minutes, alternating, and gradually change the ratio. If you are using a treadmil, just give it an incline to burn more calories and save your knees.

Well I said 5, because it really depends on his fitness level. My friend who dropped 130lbs could barely do 5 mph for 5 minutes or somthing ridiculous like that. Now he's a fuckin beast when it comes to running.

G

IBM said:
badasshairday said:
IBM said:

Use the weight? For what?

I don't know, fill in your shoulders or somthing.

G

s.a.f said:
Most 5'7" women weigh a lot more than 110lbs.

The average American woman is 5'4 and 1/2 inches and weighs 150 pounds. That's for all ages, but I'd say that the average 5'7" woman is somewhere around 160 pounds.

CCS

Reaction score
The 150 pound 5'4" are obese. "the average" includes 45 year olds who just get fatter every year. I think a 5'4" woman should be around 115 or 120. If she has no muscle, she should weigh less than that. My 6'1" friend is 150 pounds and she looks great, and no one would call her anerexic. Natural C cup.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
The 150 pound 5'4" are obese. "the average" includes 45 year olds who just get fatter every year. I think a 5'4" woman should be around 115 or 120. If she has no muscle, she should weigh less than that. My 6'1" friend is 150 pounds and she looks great, and no one would call her anerexic. Natural C cup.

No I never said that they weren't overweight. 150 5'4" is not obese though. It's just overweight, which is a valid scale for people who have a near average amount of muscle mass as most people who don't work out do. In fact, 5'4.5" 150 is BARELY overweight on the BMI scale.

They may not look like you want them to but most women who are 5'4" 150 are not at a large elevated risk of heart disease or anything like the 5'4" 250 pound women are. It's simply aesthetics.

powersam

Reaction score
i dont think the weight matters so much as where it is. i have a bit of a thing for latin women and quite a few of them are short and would probably weigh in the 150 pound bracket. but the weight is in all the right places :)