Insane (or Not-so-insane) Diy Hacks

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
My research on extending the life of pieces, avoiding shedding, etc. has led to some rather interesting DIY hacks that people have found over the years: Scotchgard or clear spray paint or clear nail polish used to seal knots, Rustoleum Rubberized Leak Sealant used on the scalp side of thinskin, etc. I'm sure people here can think of others. Generally the folks who found these hacks seem to swear by them.

So...do any of these actually work? If not, are there others that do?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My research on extending the life of pieces, avoiding shedding, etc. has led to some rather interesting DIY hacks that people have found over the years: Scotchgard or clear spray paint or clear nail polish used to seal knots, Rustoleum Rubberized Leak Sealant used on the scalp side of thinskin, etc. I'm sure people here can think of others. Generally the folks who found these hacks seem to swear by them.

So...do any of these actually work? If not, are there others that do?

I used knot sealer to prevent shedding on my lace system. I've been wearing thin skin for two months and it doesn't shed much. I'm not sure why because V-looped Thin Skin supposed to shed more from what I heard. Maybe I don't use blow dryer and no hair products. I only use leave in conditioner daily and applied a little bit of Caudalie Vinotherapie Divine Oil once a week.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Hair Newbie No doubt. I notice that the guys who seem to get the most longevity out of their systems are the ones who futz with them the least in terms of things like blowdrying, styling products, etc. I think that's a given. What I was researching were other ways that people had hit upon to increase the lifespan of their system, some of which were both creative and a bit eyebrow-raising. Which led me to wonder whether they worked or not.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Hair Newbie No doubt. I notice that the guys who seem to get the most longevity out of their systems are the ones who futz with them the least in terms of things like blowdrying, styling products, etc. I think that's a given. What I was researching were other ways that people had hit upon to increase the lifespan of their system, some of which were both creative and a bit eyebrow-raising. Which led me to wonder whether they worked or not.

I've chatted with a hair system supplier from Qingdao, China. He told me most of the Taiwanese wearers don't wear the hair system to sleep and their hair systems can last for more than 6 to 8 months. Also they prefer to use a toupee clips instead of adhesive that also can extend the lifespan of the systems. I think using hair clip is quite uncomfortable and most likely not works for exposed hairline. . I was debating if I should remove it every-night before I sleep ?

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Me personally I want it to feel like I have hair so why would I take it off at night haha.

I agree though I don't fuss with my hair much and it lasts longer that way. Although most times I say f it, I have a system to have nice styled hair they way I never could .It's just a balance you need to strike with yourself and expectations.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience is that MOST of the guys on this, and another forum, who talk about all of their hacks are all lying (show us the proof) or look like crap.

There is a reason why you don't re-use your cars air/oil filter, etc. These systems are not made to last longer than 3-6 months. If it's not the base, it's the hair, itself.

You may look in the mirror, see hair, and be happy. The reality is that when these systems start getting dull, and frizzy... you start to look obvious and ridiculous. Your friends and family may not say anything to your face, but anyone giving a casual glance can see something is amiss.

In the scheme of things, these systems don't cost that much. Most people's vice budgets (tobacco, vape, weed, alcohol) are way more than what you would spend on decent hair.