ineedhairnow's Story

ineedhairnow

Reaction score
Hi my fellow hair thinning/ balding brothers and sisters. I need to tell you my frustuation that I had this last 8 years. It all started when I was 19. I didn't think of it much, I thought it was natural that the hairline would change, but as I turned twenty, I noticed that my hair was thinning all around the head. I was confused, but since I was young I thought it could've been stress and never really done anything about it. This is the mistaked that I'll have to live with for rest of my life.

I never met anyone who was 20 yrs old and already only had 50% of hair on the head. People had told me about propecia and rogain, but I was too afraid to go to the counter or to a doctor to get any of these medications. I was way too self conscious, I didn't want anyone to know that I was worried about this problem, it was embarrassing. And I let more time fly by till people all around me was telling me I look so much older than my age. And I remember when my friend first told me that, I was horrified, I was ready to cry. I was so angry, and I was so confused, and I thought I can't believe that I turned 30 instead of 20 from when I was 19.

When I was 21, I started wearing a hat. I never wore hats before, cuz I have a weird skull, and I look stuipid with one on. But I really didn't know what else to do, I couldn't walk down the street without looking at my reflection at every window or mirror around and everytime I looked at myself on daylight, I was so dissapointed that I wanted to go home. From the time I started to wear hats to now, I must of bought 100s of different kinds. I would buy any hat that would fit on my big uneven ugly shaped head and wear it from the point I left the house and till I get back. I couldn't take it off, I was too scared that people might laugh at me. By the time I was turning 22, I lost so much hair that I couldn't recognize who I was. I was looking at myself six hours everyday, trying to figure out a hair style that wouldn't make me look bald, but then I realized that it's useless, and I shaved my head. With my weird head, I looked like elephant man, I had all these bumps that I didn't even know, and I cried like a little girl, and was so angry cuz I was cheated. I knew that I'll never be the same again, I'll never enjoy my 20s like most will.

When I was 22, I started to see a doctor for propecia and rogain, and I started using them. I really never expected anythng from them, but it did start working, and by the time I turned 23 I was getting some hair back, to a point that I was actually starting to have hope. The way my hair was growing back, I thought maybe it'll grow all of it back, but ofcourse it didn't. I was still the oldest looking kid in my group and I'm the youngest.
But I had no choice but to keep using rogain and propecia. I still would wear hats and still self conscious about myself. It would take me a long time to get the guts to go to the counter and ask for rogain.

But from 24 to 26, this two years, even though I didn't have all the hair I wanted, I was getting a little bit of result, I started to grow my hair 12 mm on top and 9mm on the side, and was able to go to bars, where it was lit dimly, and have a good time without thinking too much about the hair. But then, I couldn't really afford both medication so I stopped taking rogain, and when I stopped, it only took 3 months to start losing most of the hair I grew back.

When I was 27 that horror came back to me, I had to shave my hair 9mm on top and 6mm on the side, and then in short period of time, I had to shave 6mm to the top and 3 mm to the side. And then finally my hair line was going further back and started to show patches of baldness in the back. And even though I started again with rogain plus propecia, there really isn't much result. I am really going bald and I look like I'm 38 instead of 28.

I still cannot make peace with my fate. I still feel like I've been cheated and for 8 years I've never been happy looking at the mirror. I'm obsessed with getting hair back, now it's like religion, I look at myself in the mirror and wonder why, I must do this atleast an hour in a day.

I've went to see a hair transplant clinic and am very determined right now to get one. But I'm scared of permanent scars and am also skeptical. I'm planning on getting the surgery at the end of june. Does anyone here have any advice for me? Sorry for the long post, but I've been so frustuated.

Bismarck

Reaction score
The only transplants that are cosmetically acceptable are FUEs. If you are Norwood 4 or so this could be expensive.

ineedhairnow

Reaction score
What exactly is FUE??

I'm planning to spend about 8G on hair transplant, so I kinda wanna know about every type of hair transplant

Bismarck

Reaction score
FUE = follicular unit extraction, the single hairs (grafts) are extracted and inserted to the bald area. The other (cheaper) method is the "strip" method where a strip of your scalp at the back of your head will be cut (ouch).
If you are quite bald and you want a cosmetically acceptable result I guess you'll have to spend 25000$.

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree that FUE is the "only cosmetically acceptable hair transplant option" because this is simply not true. FUE is not successful at creating acceptable density and requires multiple visits because FUE extracted hairs can only be inserted in limited numbers per area.

The strip surgery is far more economical and at this point and time although it is less cutting edge than FUE it still provides terrific results for the right candidates. Who cares about the non-visible scar in the back of your head it is completely undetectable unless you decided to "bic" your head.

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey brother, I feel your pain and I understand exactly what you are feeling. If you ever need someone to talk to and just vent, PM me.

- Reza.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Please go here and type "FUE" into the search box on the right sidebar. You can see articles and photos on the procedure and how it is done. NOT the first article, the ones underneath it.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/

The resources are here guys - use the search to find 'em!

HairLossTalk.com

ineedhairnow

Reaction score
thanks teet.

I'm gonna go for the strip type transplant. I don't really care about the scar anymore, I'll rather have hair and a scar than no scar no hair.

I just can't believe that this thinning hair's been the topic of my life for the last 8 years, 8 YEARS!! Not one day passed without staring at the mirror for atleat couple min. unhappy, and thinking why me?

I hope this transplant is gonna bring me back what I've always wanted.

I also hope in the future, that there will be a complete solution to hairloss.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear you man, I've been obsessing about it also to the point where I make eye contact with people to see if they look at my hair.