increase shedding?

Reaction score
i have been on proscar for about 4 months now and i am positive that it is working because i have small hairs growing on my hairline and temples but the shedding have increased considerably. today i discovered about 30 hairs on the pillow and 30+ more when i showered this morning. for about 5 months there has been about 10 hairs on the pillow and about 20 in the shower and this has increased in the last week. overall my hair has thicken up but the back doesn't look as good. if proscar works on my temples and hairline, doesn't that mean it should thicken up the back of my head as well? also, why the hell am i loosing hairs on the sides and back? and why the hair do i see very thin and weak hairs come out from there as well? my hair is doing some crazy sh1t right now? maybe another 5 months will restore my temples and hairline but the way my hairs been shedding lately, iam not sure about the overall density of my hair. i think i read that techproof's regime worked better on his hairline than the crown of his head and i think it is doing the same thing to me as well.

anyone else seeing results but shedding like crazy? my theory (which just came to me) is that i haven't lost any hairs (permanently) on my crown and that they are just very thin so i don't really see terminal hairs growing there. where as my temples are (about an inch) gone and that is why i am seeing reslts there. but that doesn't explain why 20% of the hairs i lose a day is coming from the backs and sides and that i frequently pull out (literally) thin and weak hairs there.

most of this is me venting

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
if you are shedding hairs from the back and the sides, it means that you are just in a shedding phase and many of your hairs are "sleeping." These hairs will most likely grow back as stronger, thicker hair so you shouldn't have anything to worry about; especially if you said your hairline is doing better. Stick it out for a complete year and i'll bet you'll see improvement.

Check out this link; it should answer many of your questions.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=12865

Reaction score
"if you are shedding hairs from the back and the sides, it means that you are just in a shedding phase and many of your hairs are "sleeping."" ok...lets say the hairs from the backs and sides are in a shedding phase, why the hell do i find very thin and weak hairs there? they are just as thin and weak as some of the hairs that shed from the areas where i am balding. i think my scalp is reacting to the drug but why are they thinning there?

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
if it's any consolation, i'm shedding exactly like you are right now. I am losing a MINIMUM of 200 hairs a day.

A lot of the hair that comes from the back and sides of my head is also thin and sickly looking.

Anyways, see if this explanation helps.

* Finasteride (Propecia / Proscar)

There have been multiple reports of excessive shedding several months after finasteride therapy. Typically, there is a good response to finasteride to prevent or reverse male pattern baldness. Then, around the 11th to 16th week, there can be sudden shedding, sometimes on a massive scale. The entire phenomenon fits the description of a telogen effluvium. It is a common observation that post-partum women often suffer the same temporary hair loss. In the case of finasteride use, the telogen effluvium appears to be a reaction to the sudden change in the systemic levels of the sex hormone, DHT. Often the cause of a telogen effluvium are obscure, but has been related to high fevers, stress, trauma, medications, etc.

The shedding is generally diffuse (global) and can affect areas of the scalp not usually affected by male pattern baldness. So, it would be common to note shedding from the sides and back of the head in addition to the crown, vertex and frontal areas. The shedding tends to be fairly symmetrical, but will be more noticeable in the areas affected by male pattern baldness, because there is a higher ratio of hairs in the telogen phase than in the other areas of the scalp.

The duration of a telogen effluvium is variable, but rarely lasts more than a few months and there is invariably complete restitution unless another pathologic process also occurs.

As a rule, treatment is not necessary because the hair will grow back. For most patients, there is no evidence of residual loss of hair within a year. However, there have been cases of patients taking finasteride and reporting repeated bouts of excessive shedding. In this situation, it would be advisable to discontinue use of finasteride in favor of alternative anti-androgens.