Impossible To Reduce Sebum

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
well i don't think i have ever seen a bald head that wasn't dripping in sebum.

the area of hair loss on my head that is most difficult to control is the temples and they are saturated in sebum even an hour after washing.

come on how can it not be at least linked.

Come on now...didn't you ever suppose that sebum production and hair loss are both simply the results of androgenic stimulation, without themselves being causally linked? :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I have been taking vitamin b5 for a few days now at 1mg am and 1mg pm...

You've been taking 1 milligram of pantothenic acid in the am, and 1 milligram in the pm? Did you mean to say 1 GRAM (gm)?

monty1978 said:
...and today for the first time ever my face is sore and has dry skin (never does this happen, even in winter), my lips are sore and starting to crack, I have very little oily residue around my hair line.

Why do you suppose your face is sore, and your skin is dry (by the way, do you mean moisture-dry, or oil-dry?), and your lips are sore and starting to crack?

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I have been taking vitamin b5 for a few days now at 1mg am and 1mg pm and today for the first time ever my face is sore and has dry skin (never does this happen, even in winter), my lips are sore and starting to crack, I have very little oily residue around my hair line.

Hair continues to fall.

Will give it 2 more weeks of which is already starting to be considerably uncomfortable, to assess.

Dare I say it Bryan, its likely you are right! Damn and blast! :whistle:

Monty, there's quite a bit of info about hair loss being a possible side effect of pantothenic acid supplementation...

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid

Up to 6 months, 1.7 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day
7 - 12 months, 1.8 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day
1 -3 years, 2 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day
4 -8 years, 3 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day
9 to 13 years old, 4 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day
14 to 18 years old, 5 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day
19 and older, 5 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day
Pregnant females all ages, 6 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day
Lactating females all ages, 7 milligrams of Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid per day

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
Well I have been supplementing with b5 for 4 days now 2 grams daily. This morning was the single worst day ever for hair fall in over 7 years of combating male pattern baldness.

I rubbed my head for 5 mintues and 300+ hairs fell out :shock:

They jsut constantly fall out.

I don't think reducing sebum does anything for hair at all.

You guys are right to be wary of over supplementation

People have reported hair loss using B5, so it may be the supplement which is cuasing you hair to shed more.

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
Natwraggie said:
monty1978 said:
Well I have been supplementing with b5 for 4 days now 2 grams daily. This morning was the single worst day ever for hair fall in over 7 years of combating male pattern baldness.

I rubbed my head for 5 mintues and 300+ hairs fell out :shock:

They jsut constantly fall out.

I don't think reducing sebum does anything for hair at all.

You guys are right to be wary of over supplementation

People have reported hair loss using B5, so it may be the supplement which is cuasing you hair to shed more.

That's what i was trying to point out to Monty. B5 has been touted around as a sebum reducer/acne treatment for around 10 years now (I first saw it on the old alt.skincare.acne forum on usenet sometime around the millenium.) Hair loss as a side-effect was often mentioned and why I won't try it until I've completely given up on keeping my hair. If I have to go bald then I'll try it to reduce my oily skin but not until then. That's why I was so puzzled that people on a hairloss forum would be taking it. I've never heard of it doing any good for hair loss and it seems something that we would normally avoid at all costs. Hence my surprise that Monty (and squeegee I believe) would be taking it.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Megadosing B5 forces the body to create Coenzyme-A. CoA help to produces sex hormones.. Sex hormone can have an influence on plasma iron level and yeah DHT! . You also need cysteine to synthesize CoA. Maybe the depletion of the amino acid can cause the hairloss if not taken together? Also CoA and Iron also have something to do with the Hemoglobin formation ... which transport the oxygen in the blood.. Really tough to point out one thing! So many theories you can go with...arghhhhh Also Coenzyme A deplete Biotin!

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Coenzyme A supplements are very expensive, not sure how much impact it will have at reducing sebum

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
JLL said:
Forget supplements for now -- what is your diet like?

Breakfast - Oat cereal with fruits (apples, grapes, kiwi, pear) with soya milk
Lunch - Rice with fish, nuts, sometimes with chicken nuggets. Bread and tuna.
Dinner - Whatever my mum gives me, hopefully I can move out soon (I'm 18 btw) But meat, usually veg. Bacon, eggs etc

Snacks - Almonds (sometimes chocolate - but rarely)

Drinks - Green tea, preppermint tea, water, fruit juice.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, just to update you all... I am now on finasteride and it has had some effect on sebum. I don't have to worry about waking up the next day with really greasy hair, I can now wash it every other day.

drgs

Banned
Reaction score
Stop using shampoo -- just rinse it with water while you shower
It will be super greasy at first, but the scalp adjusts after a week or so

Believe me, I used shampoo twice a day in the past, now twice a week (ketoconazole)

HairShocka

Reaction score
To boost synthesis of Coenzyme A and reduce sebum, take L- Pantothenic acid 500mg three times daily and L-Cysteine 250 mg three times a day. May want to add Biotin or a Vitamin B-complex supplement occasionally. Once sebum is under control, lower dose.