I'm starting to grow normal hair...

Success!!!

Reaction score
It's been a LONG LONG journey, this hair loss business. I'll try to condense it for you. At the age of 19, over 20 years ago, my hair started falling out in HUGE amounts while I was in college. Devastating is an understatement. My mom was very proactive and immediatly took my to Derms and Doctors. They put me on birth control, thinking my hormones were out of wack. It didn't make a difference. I tried a Chinese Herbal doctor who was well known and highly recommended. I cooked the herbs in my dorm room. They stunk and sadly, after an entire year, I quit b/c I saw no improvement. I was on massive amounts of vitamins. Then when Rogaine came out, I tried that. I was on Rogaine for about 10 years. It helped a little. The falling out calmed down but the texture of my hair was terrible. I kept thinking it felt like cotton candy. If a drop of water hit it, it disappeared. I was terrified that I'd be bald.
I had to stop the Rogaine b/c my husband and I decided to have a baby. That process was not easy, and my hair was terrible. It didn't feel that much worse off the rogaine, but after I gave birth to my daughter it fell out more than ever. I tried a bunch of natural things back then and acupuncture AND more supplements. Biotin, Silica, Iron... you name it. Whatever anyone said worked, I tried. Nothing worked. I had three kids. As I got older, my hair got thinner. I was always arranging the top so you couldn't see my scalp. My iron levels were ridiculously low and I was always trying to raise them (to no avail). It was a real serious downer but I tried to focus on other things. I did shave my head a couple of times but that didn't do anything either. I figured, before I jumped into the rogaine again, I'd go to one more derm. She pissed me off and that, coupled with some other health problems, lead me to a holisitic medical Internist to whom I am forever indebted. She diagnosed me with Celiac Disease. After the blood tests and biopsy, I was told that I'd had it very VERY long term (the GI said since childhood). This made sense as I was not absorbing vitamins (and felt tired all the time).

Well, I had to go completely gluten free 5 months ago. I noticed very quickly, meaning in the first month) that my hair wasn't falling out nearly as much. Also, I got my bloodwork back today and my ferritin, which in my adult life has never been over 10, is at 38. I was down to 1 after my second daughter was born. In the last month I have recieved three compliments on my hair. I did not recieve one compliment on my hair for 21 years. I can barely believe when I look in the mirror, I don't see my scalp everywhere. I'm hoping this continues. I believe that anyone with unexplained hair loss should be checked for Celiac Disease, and if you are negative you could still have a wheat allergy and may benefit from a gluten free diet. Good luck to you all, I hope you find your cure and never stop trying.

celery123

Reaction score
Ive been on this site for about 5 minutes, and already feel a little bit better.
Thats awesome news on your hair :)
It sucks that it took so long for it to work out, but a positive outcome is always a great one