I'm done. Propecia sucks.

ossa

Reaction score
OK, I admit I was lamely looking to you all for advice to counter what my intuition had told me two weeks ago. Propecia is poison for me. It may work for other people, but not me. A month ago I had a full head of hair with only the slightest suggestion of some vertex thinning. I had some frontal recession that had actually grown forward about 1 cm with the oral minoxidil I've been taking for two years.
After one month of propecia I have 15% less hair, with loss of all the frontal hair that minoxidil had regrown (which had been stable for two years) I have a more exposed vertex. Moreover my face is oiler than it ever has been in my life, my remaining hair is limp, oily, and lifeless. I have acne on my chest which I've never had in my life. I have seborrhea and constant itiching from my scalp- which I've never had in my life. The stuff is sh*t! I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit already. Even if legal measures are a bit extreme, how is it that Merck has no description of a similar constellation of adverse events in their database- when it seems to be a fairly common occurrence. I'm not sure if this is a bona fide "relex hyperandrogenicity" response - in the views of many medical professionals, my dermatologist included, it is controversial whether finasteride even causes such a phenomenon.
Now I'm sure many people are going to berate me for not staying the course for at least 12 months...but there are sufficient testimonials from individuals on this and other sites to suggest that some people are actually much worse off in a years time. I highly doubt this is due to the natural progression of their male pattern baldness. A direct adverse effect of the medication seems a much more plausible explanation.
I'm going to stay with oral minoxidil - I've already increased my dose to help jump start some new hair growth. (Yes I know that minoxidil can cause shedding but it never has for me in the past and at least I KNOW it grows hair) Propecia is utter sh*t. I'm done.
As a last parting comment....I've filed an adverse event (AE) report with Merck and I encourage those who've had a similar experience to do so. Their representative claimed to have to no reports of telogen effluvium or a "reflex hyperandrogenicity" type syndrome - which just seems impossible to me! Instead of carping about the product here, all the people that have legitimate gripes about Propecia should let the manufacturer know so their package insert can be a little more honest. Maybe if I'd seen some real data on adverse events I wouldn't have even bothered with this crap a month ago. Contact your prescribing physician or pharmacist on how to file an AE report with Merck.

Don't even think about responding to me that "sheds" are part of the deal
with effective hairgrowth medications. Don't even go there. This isn't a shed- it's an extermination. A month ago, if I'd coated my head with used motor oil and then pulled out 15% of my hair I wouldn't look worse than I do now.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Ossa,

I've been on Propecia for 5 months and am about to start month 6.

My hair has diminished an my density has disolved.

I can not help but theorise that Propecia is doing my hair more harm than good.

I am now deliberating over whether or not to continue to the remaining seven months of treatment in order to reach to the one year mark as I have heard stories from others than it has taken up to seven and a half months to yield improvement or halt/slow loss.

Though I must sympathise with you as you are not the only one who believes that Propecia is more harmful than it is beneficial. I agree, but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The question then is why does Propecia induce more hair loss than it does to prevent and protect?

I am baffled at the propersition that this is the case but would appreciate some educated commentary on the matter....

Thoughts?

souldoctor

Reaction score
I honestly don't have a clue what to make of propecia... I'm hesistant to write it off completely, because it has helped in the past,but right now I'm quite scared...

I started it in May 2005 and since then it's basically made my hair shed for a few weeks, up to a month maybe, and then that hair has regrown, and it's looked decent for a few weeks, but then the shed has started again, and then it regrows and it's all cool..but the 'good' periods and the shedding periods are about the same..so propecia's probably given me half a year of good hair (and it was actually good) and half a year of sh*t hair (and it was/is really sh*t)....whereas without it I would have probably had a whole year of 'average' hair...I'm not sure what to do.

Right now I'm a bit confused, I was on holiday last month and actually had wicked hair all throughout, I was finally not bothered much about my hair.. but in the last week there, and since I've got back it's shed SO MUCH it's not even funny...and I've receded as well clearly..it's just so thin on top, I'm thinking of jacking it in.

Like I said I've had scary sheds before, and my hair always came through in the end, but for some reason this last one seems a lot more drastic than ever before,seriously..so for now I'm gonna stick with it for another month or so, go and see a Doctor. and consider rogaine. I haven't bothered with minoxidil up til now...and now that my hair is so thin, I'm even more scared in a way 'cos it might also cause a shed, and I dunno if my hair could take it at present!

I've been lucky enough not to have ANY sexua/skin/other hormonal side effects, (had very mild nutache for first few days and nothing similar ever since at all)...which kinda made me think I was a good responder..but I dunno if these things are correlated really, it just seemed to me like they might be (i.e good responders wouldn't have side effects).

SD

ossa

Reaction score
propecia sucks....cont'd

OK.
I've been off propecia for three days, and my skin is still terribly oily.
On the good side, the scalp itch has reduced greatly - maybe by 75%. For much of the day it's not even noticeable anymore. Also, it may be a bit premature to say but I think there's already less shedding! I definitely had fewer hairs lost at comb out today. I do suspect I may have had the so called reflex androgenicity syndrome....I had testosterone and dht levels drawn friday. I suspect my situation was a telogen effluvium induced by the propecia or maybe even just a rapid acceleration of male pattern baldness by the hormonal changes resulting from propecia (Whether it is due to increased testosterone in serum and scalp or due to an upregulation of dht receptors or other phenomena, I don't have a clue) I'll keep you all posted on those results and as to whether the damn shedding really is slowing down. I'm praying that the hair will grow back! (with some help from loniten)
Propecia clearly isn't for everyone. The manufacturer's package insert is woefully inadequate in outlining potential side effects. I've seen many testimonials online by intelligent individuals describing similar effects such as I observed and I now really believe these truly bona fide adverse reactions, not just over reactions! Please do us all a service and report adverse events if you experience them...then the manufacturer can't claim to be in the dark about it.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
My sideeffects were also:

terrible terrible skin
did not help my hairloss at all

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I do not understand why people cycle through shedding and periods of maintaining on Propecia.

To me I see a trend with Propecia of either,

• Reduced shedding with pro longed stabalization

Reduced shedding with stabalization, back to shedding <loop>

Aggressive shedding on a continual basis

After 5 months I can conclusively say I am witnessing some very aggressive diffuse hair loss with no reduction shed hair.

I have stopped my Propecia intake and am prospecting at giving it four to six weeks rest to see if I make an improvement.

I shed many hairs from the sides, lower sides, the back and lower back however density appears to have remained the same in these locations as opposed to the top.

Oily skin is something I am familiar with even without Propecia and I can say whilst on it the oil production increased ten-fold so to speak.

Telogen Effluvium? Who the f!@K knows...

I say you bin that Propecia sh!t.

If you have an accute case of Telogen Effluvium that can be long term/lasting then your problem is probably not the over production of DHT & T, at least not alone.

Look out for stressors even those that may be having a long term grip on your soul, resulting in premature hair loss.