Im 18 and losing hair, What can i do to stop and regrow

bensmith

Reaction score
Hi I'm benjamin, i live in the US and am 6ft 125 LBS and i have just turned 18, I have been losing hair ever since last year. it my hair line has been receding very rapidly, Mostly the left side of my hair line. Both my mother and father have the genetic hair loss trait and i am certain i am getting it. i have not been to the dermatologist but have taken blood test to check if my thyroid is maintained and my overall health is good. i am a bit underweight but i think that does not matter. What are some things that i can do to maintain and possibly grow my hair. i know its going to be very bad due to the fact that my father has lost the top of his hair only the sides remain and a little island in the front near the widows peak.

Please help me i am in need of Desperate help !

Here are some pictures of my hair at its current state

photo (1).jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (3).jpgphoto (4).jpgphoto (5).jpgphoto.jpgphoto (6).jpg
You be the judge and tell me you're thoughts

BlackSheep

Established Member
Reaction score
If it runs in the family, isn't diffuse hair loss but is hairline receding, and your state of health is fine, then it's quite likely you have male pattern balding and need to be on treatments specific to that if you want to abate the receding. See a doctor, tell him exactly what you know, and they should prescribe you something.

Liron1991

Reaction score
search information about the drugs "propecia" and "rogain"/"minoxidil" . these drugs can help you a lot and stop the balding process.
you can read and see many success stories with these drugs in this forum.... search on the forum "success stories"

in my opinion you suffer from alopecia androgenic...

I suggest you to start your treatment as soon as possible in order to save as much as possible hairs....

good luck in the treatment ! :)

bensmith

Reaction score
What are some other products that I can use instead of finasteride, something that can block the DHT. I am young and don't want to develop any harmful side effects, I'm going to soon start using nizoral shampoo with rogaine foam. But as I have heard my hair will still continue to fall because I don't have something to block the DHT

Malin

Established Member
Reaction score
FINASTIRIDE + MINOXIDIL + NIZORAL, as soon as possible, I'm currently 21 and started male pattern baldness at 17, didn't put attention to it until 18 (my hair was like yours), I have been on finastiride, minixidil, and nizoral since then (no side effects). My hair has mantained almost the same for this 3 years, maybe a little more receding on temples but nothing to panic yet. On the other hand, my brother also started balding at 18 and he didn't start on any treatments, he is 27 now, almost completely bald...
Cheers. It's your decision at the end.

bensmith

Reaction score
It has gotten a lot more worst since the first photos I've posted. I am going to update my photos so you guys can see exactly how fast I am losing my hair

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the updates photos of my hair, It is wet in these pictures.
. photo (1).jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (3).jpgphoto.jpg
I Have started using Minoxodil. I have not been able to find any nizoral shampoo because its very expensive online, Do any stores carry it ?. is there a substitute to nizoral that works just as well. Also, What is an alternative to FINASTRIDE ? this is what i really need right now because my hair keeps falling just as bad.

dorombl

Reaction score
it hasn't gotten worst. if you want to maintain, you have to take finasteride... you can also add 25mg zinc/ day, 2000mg MSM and 10mg biotin. Be patient, my shedding phase lasted about 2.5 months...

bensmith

Reaction score
it hasn't gotten worst. if you want to maintain, you have to take finasteride... you can also add 25mg zinc/ day, 2000mg MSM and 10mg biotin. Be patient, my shedding phase lasted about 2.5 months...
Okay dorombl, I'm going to follow your advice. But first I need to know where I could get MSM and biotin
and I can get propecia or proscar but I am wording if I can substitute them with saw palmetto, a member on these forms told me it is just as effective. Please let me know as I am serious about starting a regimen.

fmlfml

Reaction score
I had my doubts about finasteride too but I started it anyways (I was only 18, now 19), you can see my previous forum posts with doubts about finasteride.
Anyways, the hairloss almost immediately stopped, and I noticed 0 side effects. Plus it also gave me a sense of security (less stress -> less hairloss)
I used to notice 4-5 hairs between my fingers when i run my hands through my hair while showering, now there's literally 0. Although it is to be determined, itcould be one of the best decision I've made in my life. Besides, even if i start getting side effects I can simply just stop taking the finasteride.
BTW if you do decide to start, start with a low dosage. I started with like 0.1 mg per day then gradually worked my way up.

stillfullheadofhair

Reaction score
Ok, I have the similar situation here, 20 years old, NW1, not yet sure if I have male pattern baldness.
Personally, I don't think rogaine is a good idea in our case since we still have full head of hair.
And I think maintain is a good way to go, so I will try spironolactone cream + nizoral shampoo, and see if they can maintain my hair.
nizoral shampoo 200ml 20 dollars is available on amazon(I think 1% is enough). spironolactone cream is available in here for 34 dollars a jar.
I think if we are lucky enough, we can keep most of our hair before the no-side dht blocker come out in near future, then that will be the cure for us.

also, I want to know if you have any side effect from saw palmetto? Does it work?