Identical male twins study

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Another one to the pile. Some curious findings in this one. Pretty new as well, published on May 24.

http://dermatology.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2013/524/1

[h=1]Bald Twins[/h] Wear a hat, de-stress, and don't smoke if you want to be the more lushly haired brother.
Genetics may contribute to male (androgenic) alopecia (AA), but even within families, the expression and penetrance is variable. To address more directly the influence of other factors on AA, investigators studied 92 identical male twins (mean age, 51; range, 23–84), comparing completed questionnaires, four-view standardized photographs, and sputum samples analyzed for testosterone levels. Degree of hair thinning was assessed from photographs by two independent, blinded observers using the Likert scale. Linear regression modeling identified independent predicators of hair loss measures.
Independent factors that contributed to hair loss included genetics, older age, smoking, dandruff, having more children, higher caffeine ingestion, lower BMI, and history of skin disease. Not all of these factors affected hair loss at all anatomic sites (frontal, temporal, vertex). Increased testosterone levels were significantly associated with increased vertex hair loss and decreased temporal hair loss, but a difference between twins was not a predictor.
In intertwin analysis, twins who reported longer duration of stress had significantly greater hair loss than their identical counterpart. Twins with relatively increased durations of exercise had more vertex hair loss (P=0.05). A twin who drank more than four alcoholic drinks per week had more vertex hair loss than his more abstinent twin brother (P=0.004), but vertex hair loss was also found more commonly in twins who didn't drink at all (P=0.03)
Comment: Intertwin analysis found daily hat use associated with decreased temporal hair loss — information that could further motivate men to wear them. The testosterone story is complicated. Saliva testosterone serves as an indirect measure of free testosterone, as sex hormone–binding globulin is not secreted in saliva, but levels do not reflect the critically important ability of follicles to convert free testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. Dandruff was associated with greater temporal and frontal hair loss, suggesting that looking for and treating dandruff might benefit balding men over the long term.
— Mark V. Dahl, MD
Published in Journal Watch Dermatology May 24, 2013
[h=2]Citation(s):[/h] Gatherwright J et al. The contribution of endogenous and exogenous factors to a male alopecia: A study of identical twins. Plast Reconstr Surg 2013 May; 131:794e. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0b013e3182865ca9)

Helios

Reaction score
So, basically everything what i do is bad for my hair.
I thought exercise was good, because of the blood circulation?

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought exercise was good, because of the blood circulation?

Exercise increases testosterone. Testosterone decreases with age, so exercise is good for staying young and healthy but not so good when it comes to hair.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Treat and cure dandruff no problem I am wondering what that solution is 20 years later let me know when we have that figured that out. All the dandruff stuff I have tried never fixes it but just delays it until the next time you use dandruff shampoo.
I like how they apparently did not look at androgen receptor layouts since sensitivity to those androgens is much more important then androgen levels and twins could be different I guess no one ever cares to look at the hard stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

If 10 years from now the only way to decrease my chance at hair loss is having less kids or having less caffeine then male pattern baldness treatments are in trouble.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
More people who feel held back to exercise properly? I used to really love working out, now I'm just too worried about my hair, so my body decreases :sad:

Helios

Reaction score
Exercise increases testosterone. Testosterone decreases with age, so exercise is good for staying young and healthy but not so good when it comes to hair.

Actually doing cardio for a long period actually decreases testosterone, just like consuming many consumption's of alcohol.
Also i heard that when doing bodybuilding it does increase your test when training, but most of your free test get's absorbed by your muscles.

Can't find it anymore, but did i read last time that wearing headgear decreases hairloss?

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I should hope that working out (bodybuilding) without supplements like creatine etc. doesn't have that much of an impact on testosterone/DHT, because I really used to love working out.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
You need an account to read the entire study. I'm just wondering wether I can workout (fitness/powertraining) without hurting my hair.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? I can't open it without an account, so that's that. It's a highly debatable study, using that few people. I just want to know, like so many people, apart from this study, whether we can work out (with weights, yet without creatine etc.) without losing more hair or losing hair faster.

abcdefg

Reaction score
If its a tiny amount of hair thats barely cosmetically significant who cares? Your going to trade your health to keep a little more hair because of this one small study? If exercising causes hair loss then its a tiny barely significant amount because male pattern baldness is not primarily controlled by things under your control. I doubt this study is completely accurate but maybe in men that are highly susceptible to balding it does make a small difference like smoking and other stuff. Its 98 percent your genetics and not much else.

Helios

Reaction score
I should hope that working out (bodybuilding) without supplements like creatine etc. doesn't have that much of an impact on testosterone/DHT, because I really used to love working out.

A shame about creatine though, it works so great.

Scumfuc

Reaction score
If its a tiny amount of hair thats barely cosmetically significant who cares? Your going to trade your health to keep a little more hair because of this one small study? If exercising causes hair loss then its a tiny barely significant amount because male pattern baldness is not primarily controlled by things under your control. I doubt this study is completely accurate but maybe in men that are highly susceptible to balding it does make a small difference like smoking and other stuff. Its 98 percent your genetics and not much else.

That's a good thing to keep in mind. How much of a difference is seen in these studies?

I'd like to enjoy the occasional cigarette (less than monthly), and being successful in life often means putting yourself into stressful situations.