I Would Like To Share My Success Story

AngD

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been wanting to share my story for a very long time because I understand the emotional trauma that accompanies hair loss, and anyone who has suffered from this condition, knows that I'm not exaggerating when I use the words 'emotional trauma'! The loss of self esteem, feeling self-conscious, having people surreptitiously examine your bald spots ....

I have been suffering from hair loss since my twenties (I'm 52 now). Before I found a 'cure' (a term that I use very loosely because I still don't have thick hair but it is significantly thicker than previously and ALL the bald patches have filled in), I was suffering from diffuse hair loss with bald patches in the front and on top of my head.

I tried many, many different treatments over the years and saw many hair loss experts but unfortunately nothing resulted in anything that could even vaguely be classified as success. The blood tests were all fine, minoxidil did nothing other than increase facial hair growth (this is due to the minoxidil being transferred onto the pillow during sleep and from there onto your face), supplements achieved nothing, onion juice had no effect, the list goes on ....

I finally had some success with Rosemary Essential Oil used topically. It definitely resulted in the patches filling in. This success prompted me to read up on essential oils and I started adding other essential oils that were also mentioned as having an effect on hair regrowth, viz. Thyme, Lavender, Peppermint. Again, my hair responded positively. But the real success came in the form of OLIVE OIL. Plain old olive oil applied topically. All the bald spots have filled in and when I run my hand through my hair I can feel a definite increase in volume and the mirror confirms this. Unfortunately, this is not an overnight success but after a couple of weeks of applying olive oil topically, I noticed a definite increase in hair growth. I add essential oils to the olive oil because studies have proven that essential oils are at least as, if not more efficacious, than minoxidil.

I wish everyone success with their pursuit of re-growing their hair ...

AngD

My Regimen
Reaction score
What kind of olive oil, extra virgin etc. Did you leave it in overnight?
I use whatever I have in my pantry which usually is extra virgin and, yes, I leave it overnight and wash it out in the morning. These days I use it every second night because I prefer not to wash my hair every day. I apply it with a bottle that has a nozzle (originally this bottle contained black castor oil which I had also tried at one point).

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@AngD Do you have any photos? Would be good to see progress. Thanks.

AngD

My Regimen
Reaction score
@AngD Do you have any photos? Would be good to see progress. Thanks.
I really wish that I had taken pics but my journey spanned years ... and of course, I wasn't doing it to prove anything to anyone. I really just wanted to regrow my hair ...

AngD

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, you didn't.
How would you know? I actually did have some results but not as dramatic as with the olive oil ... And I'm still adding rosemary and other essential oils to the olive oil because, I truly believe there were positive results with rosemary. I'm not doing that to smell good ...

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really wish that I had taken pics but my journey spanned years ... and of course, I wasn't doing it to prove anything to anyone. I really just wanted to regrow my hair ...
Would you have any family photos or the like to see rough comparison of then and now? Would be interesting.

AngD

My Regimen
Reaction score
upload_2018-6-27_20-23-3.png upload_2018-6-28_8-35-44.png

I'm sure that you can see quite clearly which is the before and which is the after pic

Last edited:

furtbr

My Regimen
Reaction score
But how do you sleep with the olive oil on? And the other day, do you wash it with shampoo when you wake up, just leave it there or rinse it with water?

AngD

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't pour on the olive oil; you simply massage it into your scalp and then sleep with it on your scalp. I would get up the next morning and wash my hair with shampoo ...

AngD

My Regimen
Reaction score
You will need to wash your pillow case at least twice weekly. Initially my pillow got quite oily but once I grew more hair :), most of the oil now goes onto the other hair on my head as opposed to onto the pillow. Remember that you actually need to massage the olive oil into your scalp.

I see that there are also other anecdotal accounts of using olive oil for hair loss on the web.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/313305-natural-remedies-for-oily-hair/
https://www.livestrong.com/article/554073-thickening-your-hair-with-cloves-and-olive-oil/

Good luck!

Last edited: