I wonder...

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Back on topic... I remember waiting in line at a coffee shop and this guy standing right behind me says to his girlfriend, "If I ever go bald, I think I would kill myself." I turned around and gave him my psycho look. So to answer the question... suicide- no, homicide- all the time.

Boondock

Reaction score
NOW DO YO WANT TO KEEP TELLING ME TO WEAR PIECE, BOONDOCK, WHEN I HAVE SEEN PLENTY OF GUYS WER THEM, AND THEY ALL LOOK RIDUCULOUS IN MY OPINION? (BTW, they look worse than my hair transplant head of hair)

I just don't see why you don't give it a try. I'm no wig fanboy, but in your situation it seems like you don't have much to lose.

For the record, wigs are an odd industry: those which cost the most are often not the best.

A case in point: John Travolta. He was snapped wearing recently, and still used a form of base that nobody clued up would go for. This technology was 10-20 years behind what's happened in the industry.

What money gets you is service and no self-maintenance. You go to a salon and get it slapped on for a month - someone else does the whole thing for you. It doesn't get you great results, and many can look tragically bad.

It's your call, I'm just puzzled that you haven't given them a try.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Back on topic... I remember waiting in line at a coffee shop and this guy standing right behind me says to his girlfriend, "If I ever go bald, I think I would kill myself." I turned around and gave him my psycho look. So to answer the question... suicide- no, homicide- all the time.

Haha that last part made me laugh.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yea...in fact you only see the bad hairpieces...the good ones you can not see them...

looks like I'm not the only guy thinking at suicide...and it's not because of my hairloss...it is because my entire life...hairloss is just the the drop of water that filled up the glass...hairloss is worst than everything!

Boondock

Reaction score
dudemon said:
Would YOU seriously consider wearing one? I mean seriously? :whistle:

If not, then why are you telling me to try one when I am so deadset against it?

If I were in your situation, I would absolutely give it a try. I have no doubt in my mind about that. In fact I'm not ruling wigs out for myself in the future, and I don't have a hair transplant scar or poor transplant work on top.

I can't say if I'd use them long term, because I've never tried them. But the reality is that there are happy guys who've taken this route, who still get girls and wives, and who look pretty good. I would want to see if I could be like them, because if I could a) get it looking realistic, b) be man enough to deal with it if one or two people found out, and c) deal with the hassle, I'd say it was a good solution.

It's also reversible, so there's not much risk in trying it - particularly if you have 'downtime' for a week or so (which you seem to have currently, another reason why I suggested this).

I dunno man, I'm not judging you for your choices, I just think the situation you're in could leave you stuck for quite a few more years - and even with BHT etc it may be hard to get a realistic look. There comes a point when you have to be open to trying things like this - like I said, what have you got to lose?

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually don't like to play the "There are people with much worse problems than you" card on others, but in this case it's warranted.
I mean, come on. Okay, so hairloss sucks. We can all cling to that "It's what's inside that counts" bullshit, but looks do matter...a lot. On the other hand, if you're thinking about killing yourself over your hairloss, you need to visit the local homeless shelter, center for the treatment of terminally ill cancer patients, or any place where there are people who would gladly trade their problems for yours.
Hairloss can definitely hinder you in life, but to what extent is up to you. It sure as sh*t isn't worth killing yourself over.

Boondock

Reaction score
Again, I'm not a wig advocate but to be fair to Andre he's correct in his cost estimation. A decent piece will cost you around $200-$500, and most people will require 4 or so a year, plus supplies.

Not cheap, but nothing like the astronomical costs you're suggesting. Nobody serious about this relies on salons these days.

Your choice is your choice, but what you've written is equivalent to someone saying "hair transplants look like corn rows and require your scalp to be stretched into place." It might have been true twenty years ago, but isn't now.

I agree that your current strategy makes sense, though, and hopefully the FUE will get you the results you're going for. Wigs obviously have big drawbacks, it's just that cost isn't one of them (at least to the extent you've described.)

Boondock

Reaction score
The toupees have come down in wholesale price only marginally, to my knowledge. The difference has been the profit margins.

Traditionally the industry worked on an imbalance of knowledge and expertise. Salons would order a piece for you from a foreign factory, and would charge you $2000 for it. They would also keep hold of the attachment materials, and would keep you coming back from pricey monthly re-attachments. You didn't know how to obtain a piece elsewhere, or attach it, so this was your only option.

Stunningly, the work they delivered for this price was still sub-par. A lot (probably the majority) of piece wearers still use these methods, and tend to get substandard results. The classic errors are a) poor colour matching, b) over-high density, and c) low hairlines.

The big change came with the internet, when some businesses set up to cut out the middle man. They use the same factories - sometimes better ones - than the salons. But they've reduced the profit margins significantly. They can charge $200 because the pieces only cost them around $100 to make and ship from China.

The people who use these firms tend to attach themselves, and to do so at least weekly. They also spend a long time fine-tuning their units, applying subtle adhesives, colour-matching, and styling, so as to get a realistic look. They'll often build recession into their units, to get a more natural look. They also use new bases which have emerged in the last decade; many salons do not use these.

A classic example of a person using this method is Michigan Baldy, who used to post here and now sells a DVD via one of the new companies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKEMBp9xCI

IMO, the results you can get from these units if done properly are undetectable to the average person. I wouldn't have noticed them even as a Norwood-clocker, and only have some idea now because I've seen how they look. The cost also isn't too bad.

The downsides a) are the 'sudden change' effect if you go from NW6 to NW2 overnight; b) the hassle of maintenance c) the psychological insecurity some people experience from wearing; d) the unnatural feel the units can have at the sides.

So it's not a perfect option, but for me personally I am consdering trying it when my loss progresses, because it's only a few hundred bucks to do so, and is reversible.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon...no offense but it looks like you 're not updated to new technology and cost regarding hairpieces...trust me you can get the beckham look with no problem...I already told you only see the bad hairpieces not the good one obviously...I'm not a fan of wig...hate it...I would love to suit me the shaved look...but it didn't...that's why I have to give it a try...but maybe after summer time...

those guys that you were talking about are using crap hairpieces...even if it has porche ferrari and so on...if he payed those money using an hairpiece from a hair club...that's why you are spotting it!

Boondock

Reaction score
I agree. I don't think this is an example of a good piece. The density is too high, the colour match isn't quite right, and it's too 'puffed', leaving a sort of bob effect which doesn't appear natural.

The colour match is worsened by the extremely white facial hair. I expect his eyebrows don't match either.

Also, the greasy 'slick back' hairstyle is something you seem to only see with hair pieces. Does anyone actually have that style in real life these days?

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yea...i bet if you'll pass by this guy on the street you'll never think about wearing...it is just an old guy...but at someone else younger the desnity will be great...i have lots of fotos of young people...but i can not publish them here...bandook if you want i can show you some...but in private...i mean leave an e-mail...p.m. me

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I would think women would be more turned off by knowing the insecurity that you have, so much so to wear a rug on your head, than some natural hair loss.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yea...dudemon...again I'm telling you...I'm not a hairpiece defender or a fan or whatever you want to call me...but I bet if I will see you on the street I will stare at you more than to a guy with hairpiece...because of your super thin hair and that scar form behind...and nuli...I see that you are taking fluridil...c'mon man in a few years you won't be able to make a women happy taking fluridil...sometimes I am thinking that guys like us are wasting time here...because as long is not a treatment to give you a fullness aspect of natural hair it is in vain to discuss here...

besides this it is normal dudemon to have your attitude...after failling with hair transplant and spend so much money...how could you agree with everything else?

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah dude, i think you should at least give it a fair try here... go to those saloons, try one, just to see how it works and how it looks, what do you got to lose ? :dunno:

Boondock

Reaction score
^ I'm not sure if you're trying to parody me or not.

What I was actually suggesting was that he get a template, buy one for a couple of hundred bucks, then try it out for a week when he's got some downtime. You don't need to shave all your hair to do it.

You may think that's a ludicrous suggestion, but whatever.

VoteForPedro

Reaction score
fact of the matter is EVERYONE has suicidal thoughts every now and then...so even if hair loss is not a thing for someone, he or she will STILL find something to feel suicidal over. we are never satisfied...which is a mixed blessing: it's good to want more and better things at times, but it's also counterproductive and attached and sad. just go with the flow of your emotions...when you feel down, that's fine. when you're not down...good. just don't quit. from time to time...i see how the world seems to revolve around people with full heads of hair, and does that get me down? do i feel like i might as well end it all? yes. but do i? no...i just let the feeling ride over me...and pass. accept all emotions...and you'll live a full life...with or without a full head of hair.