I thought hair loss and weight lifting may have been related

Obsidian

Reaction score
I now personally think it's a bunch of BS. First of all my 2nd nasty shed happened a little bit right after 6 months and I was certainly not on any weights. Second, my hair and skin has actually started to look better since going over to this bulking up diet, my bacne has cleared up quite a bit since I started it. Third, this nasty shed I have started on recently didn't start when I was weight-lifting it happened on my day off when I wasn't even near weights.

Besides at the end of the day since I have started seriously lifting weights my confidence and overall mental health have improved.

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I really can't see it having any more of an effect than sex on tesosterone levels.

I can't imagine it making any even slightly significant/noticeable difference to hair.

ztygr

Reaction score
I've wondered about this too. I'm just learning about all this stuff, but here's what I understand so far. Lifting should increase testosterone levels. Testosterone gets converted into DHT by 5-alpha-reductase. DHT is bad news for hair. finasteride, dutasteride, spironolactone, etc. inhibit 5-alpha-reductase, so it can't convert testosterone to DHT. But if you're lifting and ultimately making more testosterone (which you want when you're lifting), is the finasteride/etc. going to be able to keep up?

BTW, does anyone know where the 5-alpha-reductase comes from? Can you inhibit it's production too? Weaken another link in the chain?

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
My hairloss has deff. accelerated since lifting weights and doing mild - intense cardio. Now there might be other factors contributing to this but theres no doubt that lifting weights has increased my hairloss.

CCS

Reaction score
lifting weight does raise testosterone levels a bit. This may raise DHT levels. Blood tests would tell you. I think this would only slightly speed up hair loss. If you are worried, take propecia and use Nizoral shampoo or spironolactone topical.

Lifting weights is necessary for optimum health, and good muscles matter to women. I would not avoid weight lifting to save a few hairs. If you get really fat, you can up your estrogen levels, which could help you keep some more hair, but it would be small compared to the power of propecia.

Exercise increases your libido, countering some of the side effects propecia may have. Propecia also increase estrogen and testosterone, both of which are anabolic. DHT may only be needed for high bone density. We don't know what kind of 5ar is in bones, but that is why I don't use Avodart.

ali777

Reaction score
I've managed to put on 3kg of muscle mass in the last 2-3 months, and I haven't seen any increased shed at all. The correlation between working out and male pattern baldness is not so straight forward.

A quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness_treatments

Daily, vigorous aerobic exercise (as opposed to short workout periods designed to raise androgen levels and build muscle, or more sporadic exercise) and a diet which is adequate yet more moderate in terms of fat and total calorie intake have been shown to reduce baseline insulin levels as well as baseline total and free testosterone,[12].

Lower insulin levels and reduced stress both result in raised levels of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG). SHBG binds to testosterone, and prevents it from circulating free in the blood. Only free testosterone is converted to DHT. It is the level of free androgens and not total androgens which is relevant to the levels of DHT in the scalp and the progression of male pattern baldness. In short, aerobic exercise is capable of significantly lowering DHT. [13] [14] Reducing baseline Testosterone also limits the amount available to convert to DHT, but a balance has to be struck if one wishes to preserve Testosterone by concentrating on manipulation of the destructive form, DHT directly.[citation needed] However, exercise has not been shown to prevent male-pattern baldness. There is little doubt however, that overall fitness contributes to healthy hair growth, except where Testosterone increasing exercises are in excess of the threshold for DHT antagonism of the hair folicles.[citation needed]

Androgenic alopecia has been shown to correlate with metabolic syndrome. Medically increasing androgen levels does not worsen this condition, demonstrating that androgens do not cause metabolic syndrome. Instead, high insulin levels (and possibly chronic inflammation[15]) seem the likely link in the demonstrated correlation between baldness and metabolic syndrome. This reinforces the notion that behaviors which help to keep insulin levels low and reduce chronic inflammation might also help to preserve hair.[16][17]

Another quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairloss

However, there is at least one study that indicates a decline in free testosterone combined with an increase in strength due to an (unspecified) strength training regimen.[19]

As you can see, it gets even more confusing. Strength training doesn't necessarily increase free testosterone. If in doubt, go and run couple miles to get some aerobic exercises to reduce insulin levels :dunno:

PS: To comment on CCS's post... I can sometimes feel the increased testosterone in my body, my libido goes one notch up. Not that I need any help, but it definitely works...

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Ali,

just curious how you are measuring your increased muscle weight?

by simply weighing yourself or some other?

ali777

Reaction score
patagonia said:
Ali,

just curious how you are measuring your increased muscle weight?

by simply weighing yourself or some other?

hmmm.. what else can I do?

I understand where you are coming from with BMI measurements and stuff?

I was slightly underweight for my frame, a few of my friends told me to put on a bit of weight. So, I eat as much as I can and I try to exercise 3 times a week. I'm not so scientific about it, I do whatever I can and whenever I can. I've finally managed to put on 3kg after eating like a pig, and most of it seems to have gone to the right places.. so overall, it's been a success but I need to keep working on definition.

I'm not really into body building and stuff. I just want a decent looking frame. Most of the time I don't have an appetite, so eating for me is like a chore.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My thoughts:

Attachments

• lou-ferrigno.jpg
    lou-ferrigno.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 206

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
The increase in testosterone is a temporary effect of weight training and is over quite quickly and there is some research that shows that testosterone levels increase on the day you work out but takes a dip for the following 48 hours so it all equals out in the end, regardless if you are on finasteride I do not think you need to worry as I doubt the increase in testosterone will do much in comparison to the huge amount of DHT your are holding back. If you want to be ultra safe then use a topical anti-androgen pre-wrokout or post ( I am not sure how long topical antiandrogens block the receptor), by anti androgen I mean spironolactone but you could use flutamide if you are not worried about risks or RU58841 if you can get your hand on it. I would maybe opt for Proxiphen for its spironolactone content and it would be nice to get added benefits from all the other things in it.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
What about just taking a shower after wards and using Nizoral, that should help against what little effect if any, weight lifting has on hair loss wouldn't it?

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral should help, I am not sure on it potency as a topical anti-androgen, we know it helps hair growth but is that growth related or effected by its anti-androgen quality or solely due to its stimulatory effect. Although I remember reading a post of a spironolactone user who swapped spironolactone for nizoral cream on the hair line with no change in the hairline.

Jonny Q

Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
My thoughts:

My thoughts, another hulk that reacts differently.
everyone's different and has different reactions, don't rule it out.

Attachments

• hogan.jpg
    hogan.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 166

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well it really depends, what i really want to know is if weight lifting increases 5AR?

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JonnyQ said:
ClayShaw said:
My thoughts:

My thoughts, another hulk that reacts differently.
everyone's different and has different reactions, don't rule it out.

'Reacts differently?' You not thought that he'd be bald even if he wasn't huge as he is genetically prone (The biggest cause of male pattern baldness).

-It's clear it runs in his family, his son is 17 and is showing the signs.