I must know, what happens after the X year mark!

canikeepit

Reaction score
I decided to jump right into the big three, but based on what I've been reading lately about the longevity of the respective products, I now don't know wheather I should be spacing out my regimen... I have to know once and for all, If possible, what exactly will happen when either propecia or minoxidil pass their expected lifespan in your system. Do they just stop working all together, do they reach a peak then maintain for the remainder that you use them, or do they gradually get less and less effective until your back at square one?

please enlighten me

johnnycash

Established Member
Reaction score
Good question, I wish some of the more experienced posters could reply. I notice Mr. HairLossTalk.com has een using products for at least three years, and he's off propecia now. It would be nice to hear his response.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The treatments dont stop working, but your genetics catch up with you. You've pushed back the clock once (and only once) with minoxidil, slowed it way down with propecia, but the gears continue to turn. It just cant work forever (although it could work for a very long time). So what happens at that point? As long as you stay on the treatments, you slowly lose it, much like you had been before treatments. Get off the treatments and you're in for a much faster ride.

Its likely that your body doesnt build a tollerance to Propecia so much as it becomes more sensitive to DHT, but that may not even be a factor.

We do have to face the fact that even with the synergistic effects of min and finasteride, we will probably lose our hair eventually, be it 5 or 15 years from now, unless we are handed a new miracle treatment (go osh!). The only other recourse is surgery, which may not be a very big deal at that time.

Cassin

Reaction score
No one knows for sure what will happen. No one can even tell you if using 10 treatments will work to keep your hair or 1 will do the job. Especially how long they will function. When used together we can safely assume that it will extend the amount of time the FDA trials prove to benefit your hair, but we have no idea how long. Nor do we know when the others factors of male pattern baldness will kick in regardless of how long you have been using treatments, and out muscle what your using rendering them useless.

This is why you should always (IMO) start small and work your way up to a multi treatment approach as you need it. Some people don't agree with this and immediately hop on 4 treatments at once having no clue which ones work. To me that is a waste of money and benefit for later years should you need one of those now wasted options. Should things start showing that they are failing, then add minoxidil, spironolactone, Revivigen etc as needed. Were it me, I would love to have started in time and just have to pop 1 pill a day and some weird smelling shampoo once or twice a week. :)

Be patient, your into this for the long run, not just immediate benefit.
So try to keep that in mind and everyone be patient when you first start.

G

I agree with Cassin.

You see DHT in combination with other factors (DHT being the single most potent) will kill your hair if you are that type of person. finasteride will rid the body of a big part of DHT. I would add a topical DHT inhibitor to that.

minoxidil comes way after - why? because minoxidil can not do anything to salvage a hair follicle, it can only make a dormant produce hair - not grade A hair.

So if you manage to maintain with finasteride and feel that you want to try and thicken things up - add minoxidil.

If I could start over I would have gone with spironolactone/revivogen and finasteride.

I started a month ago with nizoral, finasteride and minoxidil 2% and I´m waiting for spironolactone and tricomin.

Peace!

Reaction score
Flux and Cassin are right but Dr.Proctor said its both that the MBP catches up with the minoxidil but also the body is building up some tolerance. Come on guys, minoxidil is a drug. Like any other, the body will get use to it.
If you took an aspirin every day and then got a headache and it wouldn't go away with the aspirin, you can't just say "Oh the headache was so bad the aspirin couldn't catch up with it.

So to conclude, its both the disease catching up with the effects of the drug and also the body building the tolerance as well.

I'd say its good to start with minoxidil 2% first and gradually build to 5% when minoxidil 2% plateaus.

G

HAIRLOSSMILITANT said:
Flux and Cassin are right but Dr.Proctor said its both that the MBP catches up with the minoxidil but also the body is building up some tolerance. Come on guys, minoxidil is a drug. Like any other, the body will get use to it.
If you took an aspirin every day and then got a headache and it wouldn't go away with the aspirin, you can't just say "Oh the headache was so bad the aspirin couldn't catch up with it.

So to conclude, its both the disease catching up with the effects of the drug and also the body building the tolerance as well.

I'd say its good to start with minoxidil 2% first and gradually build to 5% when minoxidil 2% plateaus.

Does the above apply to the likes of Nizoral, Spironolactone, Reviogen etc.