I give up trying to make a template...

Guitarmaster

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I tried multiple times to make a template and they don’t see to come out right.

The pictures show my best attempt. I have a slight little peak of hair in the front that I can’t replicate while drawing. (I am a CC contour)

I also have a small natural swirl on my right back side that I don’t know how to “replicate” in the template.

Also it seems off centered.

I think I will just go to a salon and use that first hairpiece as a template so I can then start ordering based of that template.

I wanted to go to the salon just cutting and blending. But I guess it’s just not possible

Attachments

• D0CD2FD9-B47A-46E9-9CCF-FFE1690403B0.jpeg
    D0CD2FD9-B47A-46E9-9CCF-FFE1690403B0.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 650DDA03-485E-48CD-85D7-B36EC1DCDAE2.jpeg
    650DDA03-485E-48CD-85D7-B36EC1DCDAE2.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 5D517FE1-A020-4F64-8876-C2683B5A24D4.jpeg
    5D517FE1-A020-4F64-8876-C2683B5A24D4.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 147

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It takes a few attempts and there is no exact right answer. Just pick your best attempt.

I think experienced stylists can reposition/cut at attachment so there is room for error.

You can always redo for next piece if needed. Always good to get started :)

Good luck!

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
keep giving it a go.. ive been doing my own maintenance now since the pandemic hit and everything closed in the UK , sinch April last year, and at first it was scary as hell...
i originally used an old system and cut the hair down as short as possible to copy the template, so it can work that way.. but i always felt it was not perfect, so i eventually embraced doing a proper template and even now i still fell like its not 100pct but it works.

As you progress you will get better and better, just aim for the best you can , i would stay mine was 90% perfect the first few times, manly at the sides and back where i always seemed to cut it bigger and i had very small lips .. i just got on with it, but 2 weeks ago i did a new template and was alittle more brave and i would say i have it perfect now... its all trial and error mate and if your lucky enough to not have to be our in public during this time, just go for it and you will get better.

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't look too bad actually as it's quite tricky to get right. Were you intending to do everything yourself including cutting the base of a stock unit to match your template and shaving your head?

Last edited:

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you can get someone to help you make the template, then that would make it a lot easier to make, but of course if you want nobody to know about your hair system then you are going to have to make a template yourself. I don't know if you've looked at any tutorials, but I found these useful:

If you make a template yourself, use 2 mirrors (1 in front of you, 1 behind you slightly above) and experiment with positioning them so you can see the back of your head while you draw round the template. It does take a bit of trial and error, but you should be ok after a few tries.

Last edited:

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, this Jake Kent has amazing, amazing videos. Articulate, thorough.
Yes I watch him,too.
But he has not the best hairsystem.
The one on which the hairs go down to the eyes look to heavy on him.
Now he shows his hairline and somehow it doens´t look good,too.
Thats only my oppinion and I would say that no one who isn´t in this theme would recognize it. In the "real" world I would say no one would mention it.
Maybe we all have to stop a little bit the desire of reaching the perfection.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I watch him,too.
But he has not the best hairsystem.
The one on which the hairs go down to the eyes look to heavy on him.
Now he shows his hairline and somehow it doens´t look good,too.
Thats only my oppinion and I would say that no one who isn´t in this theme would recognize it. In the "real" world I would say no one would mention it.
Maybe we all have to stop a little bit the desire of reaching the perfection.
No, I made a mistake. I just saw his last-posted video when I wrote that & he'd had it done at the Hair Club [for Men?], w/ OUTSTANDING results. I think the hair is far wavier than standard "body wave" [aka pin straight] to it, making it very, very nice. Regardless, his new system looks epic - but his own work is ATROCIOUS.

Might as well be wearing a Halloween wig at that level...