I am afraid of start using Minoxidil

imtom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,
so I realized I had a more mature hairline now (I'm 24 yrs old) and I'm easily losing 40 hairs in the shower.
I know it is not that bad, but anyways I wanted to start my treatment as soon as possible. I've been avoiding to go to a dermatologist because I'm scared of using this type of drugs, specially since I read about hair shedding after minoxidil.

I wanted to ask you guys what would you do and if you had a previous experience with minoxidil, was shedding really that bad? Is this shedding going to be noticible in the short term?

I would like to read your experiences related to shedding!

Thanks,
Tom.

fatelephant

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The average person loses about 100 hairs a day.

There's no reason to fear topical minoxodil barring an initial shed (which is a good thing). It will only make your hair thicker than it is already while you are using it. If you stop using it, it will simply revert to whatever it is before.

oral minoxidil
Don't listen to this lunatic. Oral minoxidil is a heart medication and you should definitely not take it because you are losing "40 hairs a day in the shower". In fact, you shouldn't take it without medical supervision, period. Although that also applies to all prescription drugs. Get advice from a doctor, not random anonymous posters on the Internet (including me).

MrSnow

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The average person loses about 100 hairs a day.

There's no reason to fear topical minoxodil barring an initial shed (which is a good thing). It will only make your hair thicker than it is already while you are using it. If you stop using it, it will simply revert to whatever it is before.

Don't listen to this lunatic. Oral minoxidil is a heart medication and you should definitely not take it because you are losing "40 hairs a day in the shower". In fact, you shouldn't take it without medical supervision, period. Although that also applies to all prescription drugs. Get advice from a doctor, not random anonymous posters on the Internet (including me).
you're absolutely crazy

MrSnow

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Says the teenager with massive thick hair self-medicating himself with heart medication and multiple emasculating hormone altering drugs because he wants to be as hairy as a werewolf... o_O
but with my motivation i hope that i will be norwood -1000
i dont take feminize drugs, never i will take it

fatelephant

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but with my motivation i hope that i will be norwood -1000
i dont take feminize drugs, never i will take it
Finasteride and dutasteride are both drugs commonly taken by men transitioning to women.

Of course, they take way more than 1mg per day, but regardless.

MrSnow

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride and dutasteride are both drugs commonly taken by men transitioning to women.

you forget one thing, by taking fina + duta, I gained muscle, I probably have much more muscle than most men, so I'm not becoming a woman, especially since my beard grows d one shot, on the contrary my T has surely increased a lot

the transexual take 5mg, but you forgot that 1mg or 5mg of fina, there is not a significative difference

imtom

My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread was definitely fun to read tho, I'll go to a dermatologist next week and I'll ask for a prescription for finasteride and minoxidil.
I also read about PRP and it's quite cheap where I live, so maybe I can use that treatment as well, I'll ask the dermatologist first, but I coulnd't find any dermatologist specialized on hair or whatever, so I dont know..

I'll post pictures before I start my treatment.

Thanks all of you for your comments and experiences!

fatelephant

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It works short term but without finasteride the regrowth will eventually be lost.
Who said that? Some random BDD weirdo on the Internet?

I suspect the real truth is it causes some regrowth but also, you just keep going bald. This is then seen as "regrowth lost". Sure, adding finasteride might help solve that problem, no argument. But to say "minoxodil is useless without finasteride" is just wrong. They both work together nicely, that much is true.

Most of the BDDs on this forum who are on finasteride, dutasteride and everything else they can get their hands on, would get by just fine with minoxodil only. Or even just Nizoral - because most of them aren't even going bald.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on finasteride, minoxidil is useless without it.
Oh sh*t the old myth that Big minoxidil stops working without 5ar inhibitor

Weird... Still working for me after 6 years using
When I stopped 2 months ago I realized how good minoxidil is for my hair

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

Yes but in combination with estrogen/spironolactone. Taking it alone is fine for men.

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh sh*t the old myth that Big minoxidil stops working without 5ar inhibitor

Weird... Still working for me after 6 years using
When I stopped 2 months ago I realized how good minoxidil is for my hair
You must be a hyper responder or don't have very aggressive hair loss.