How Much shedding is considered normal?

80sRevival

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was just wondering how much shedding is normal? In the shower, I usually shed about 10-20 hairs daily. My older brother who is 28 has a full head of hair. My father who is 55 has a full head of hair. I feel like my hair is thinning. I'm actually apprehensive of going to see a derm b/c I want to know if I really have male pattern baldness or not. I'm one of those guys who cannot lose his hair. I don't look good at all bald, some guys can pull it off. So how much shedding is considered normal?

bombscience

Reaction score
It's really not about the amout of hair rather than the quality of the hair you are losing. Most people lose somewhere between 50-100 hairs a day.

Take a look at one of the hairs that has fallen out and see if it thinner towards the root. If it is, it's a good chance it's male pattern baldness.

Finally if you can't notice it yet, get on some finasteride! You have a huge chance of halting or stopping any loss by doing this.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bombscience said:
Finally if you can't notice it yet, get on some finasteride! You have a huge chance of halting or stopping any loss by doing this.
As long as you can determine that you are actually balding! Dont take this stuff if youre not sure.

80sRevival

Reaction score
Some of the hair that fall out are thin, some of it that falls out is thick....and sometimes some it that falls out are new hairs that are growing back. It varies.