How much does fat gain speed muscle gain?

CCS

Reaction score
Does gaining fat actually speed muscle gain, or does muscle just usually grow faster while there is fat gain since it means the muscle is getting all the nutrients it needs?

I mean, let's say a body builder and his twin do everything the same and eat the same foods, but one of them eats 500 calories more that day. Both eat every 3 hours at the same time, but just one eats a bit more at each meal.

Suppose one of them puts on 1 pound of fat in a week, and the other puts on 5 pounds of fat that week. Does the one who put on 5 pounds of fat put on more muscle than the one who put on just 1 pound of fat? I'd think the 1 pounder is getting enough nutrients if he is putting on fat, assuming he is eating healthy and getting the right ratio of protein to carbs and fat in his diet.

Have scientists tested this? I'd think as long as you give your exactly what it needs, when it needs it, you could have optimal muscle gain without fat gain, and that fat gain is just from overshooting. But I could be wrong. The body may have a different way of allocating calories.

CCS

Reaction score
I think any time insulin puts sugar into cells, some will go into muscle, and some into fat cells. But the more the muscle wants the sugar, and the more the glycogen was depleted, the higher the percentage of that sugar that will go into the muscle and not the fat cells. So if 10% goes into the fat cells, that means you'd have to burn it off later in the day or night in order to not gain fat. How much that burn off affects the muscles is a different issue, though. I suspect the more glycogen is in the muscles, at least up to a point, the faster the muscles recover. But the more glycogen is in the mucles, the less fat that will be burned. I hope that fat burning stops when glycogen stores are about 75% full, whereas muscle recovery can stay at maximum as long as glycogen stores are at least 50% full. That would allow an area where recomposition could occur. If not, then there would have to be a way to lose fat without losing muscle, or we would not see models, or see people get into better shape.

CCS

Reaction score
definitely shoot for 75% or higher during and 2 hours after workouts.