How many Months before maximum effect?

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read several stories here and in other places and talked to some people who claimed they had to wait more than 12 months before they experienced the maximum effect of finasteride.

I'd be interested in knowing what people have to say about this. I myself am going on eight months tomorrow.
Where does the twelve months come from?

Besides, I know many people will quit and be dissapointed after 9-10 months if it has not helped them or even made things worse and they really should stick with it for another 2-4 months.

beaner

Reaction score
I started using finasteride April 2006 and am still seeing improvements,but I am using minoxidil which makes a difference I'm sure. The second year on finasteride was definitely better than the first. Keep in mind that the average responder in the Propecia trials saw increase in hair counts for 12 months so if you are an above average responder or even an average responder and also using growth stimulants, I think it's fair to say you could see improvements for 2 years and perhaps beyond in some cases.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have experienced various degrees of stabalisation throughout my first 14 months but that's it, I'm pleased because it has given me a little bit more time but ultimately it has and will continue to get slowly thinner, there were times early on when i thought/ hoped it was the answer to my problems but I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's only stretching the process out at best.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I think it requires AT LEAST 6 months to reach the maximum effect.

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
UK1 said:
I have experienced various degrees of stabalisation throughout my first 14 months but that's it, I'm pleased because it has given me a little bit more time but ultimately it has and will continue to get slowly thinner, there were times early on when i thought/ hoped it was the answer to my problems but I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's only stretching the process out at best.

Doesn't finasteride Maintain your hair that you have for 15 years? so you mean your still losing hair but slighty slower?

Pondle

Reaction score
Thisisme373 said:
Doesn't finasteride Maintain your hair that you have for 15 years? so you mean your still losing hair but slighty slower?

The effects on finasteride vary from person to person. The longest study lasted five years.

At 12 months, 58% of men in the placebo group had further hair loss (defined as any decrease in hair count from baseline), compared with 14% of men treated with PROPECIA. In men treated for up to 2 years, 72% of men in the placebo group demonstrated hair loss, compared with 17% of men treated with PROPECIA. At 5 years, 100% of men in the placebo group demonstrated hair loss, compared with 35% of men treated with PROPECIA.

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
Thisisme373 said:

The effects on finasteride vary from person to person. The longest study lasted five years.

At 12 months, 58% of men in the placebo group had further hair loss (defined as any decrease in hair count from baseline), compared with 14% of men treated with PROPECIA. In men treated for up to 2 years, 72% of men in the placebo group demonstrated hair loss, compared with 17% of men treated with PROPECIA. At 5 years, 100% of men in the placebo group demonstrated hair loss, compared with 35% of men treated with PROPECIA.

does that mean fully maintained like kept all the hair they had? because someone on here told me 15 years untill below baseline, sorry if i sound stupid but what exactly is below baseline? :dunno:

Pondle

Reaction score
'Baseline' is the hair count when you start Propecia. Hence 'below baseline' means a deterioration compared to your initial hair count.

Thisisme373

Established Member
Reaction score
so is there any chance you can keep your hair for 15 years? have read peoples posts that have been on finasteride for 10 years