How Many Mg Of Finasteride Should I Take Daily? Diffuse Thinning Norwood 2

GreekGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the process getting a prescription for Propecia. My hair loss is basically unnoticeable from the front because I have the hairline of a Greek God, but it's gotten very thin in the middle. I figure if I don't start Propecia soon, I'll probably lose more and my comb back style wont cover the thinning anymore. What dosage do you guys think can maximize hair retention while minimizing side effects? I was thinking to ask for 0.5 mg but you guys probably know better. Thanks for answering

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
The lowest dose they have is 1mg (at least in most countries, I believe in Japan they have .25mg). Officially it is not recommended to take a lower dose though over the years lower dosages have been proven to be effective.

GreekGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The lowest dose they have is 1mg (at least in most countries, I believe in Japan they have .25mg). Officially it is not recommended to take a lower dose though over the years lower dosages have been proven to be effective.
So if the Doctor gives me 1 mg should I cut it in half or just take it? If I can stall hair loss with less dosage I will.

DANNIS

My Regimen
Reaction score
So if the Doctor gives me 1 mg should I cut it in half or just take it? If I can stall hair loss with less dosage I will.

I would discuss the appropriate dosing with your doctor. While a majority of published research on Finasteride in regard to side effects and hair loss in men used a 1mg dose, there is at least 1 small study I found that reported significantly decreased serum DHT levels at 0.2mg and 0.5mg doses when compared to placebo.

random phone charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would discuss the appropriate dosing with your doctor. While a majority of published research on Finasteride in regard to side effects and hair loss in men used a 1mg dose, there is at least 1 small study I found that reported significantly decreased serum DHT levels at 0.2mg and 0.5mg doses when compared to placebo.
Is there difference between unbranded finasteride & propecia?