How many hair do you lose per day?

reallysad

Reaction score
I lose about 20-30 hairs per day. It is definitely more than what I used to lose.

Hope to hear from people how many hairs they lose a day maybe with and without their hairloss treatment.

Also, don't wish to hear standarised answers like its normal to lose 50-100 hairs per day.

The Gardener

Reaction score
male pattern baldness is NOT a disease where you LOSE lots of hairs each day. The problem is not in losing hair, the problem with male pattern baldness sufferers is that after LOSING the hair the new hair grows back thinner, or grows back as almost invisible 'vellous' hairs.

So, hate to break your main assumption, but you CANNOT make any judgements about the severity of a shed you are going through. Even people WITHOUT male pattern baldness go through sheds.

tomsmith

Established Member
Reaction score
How many sheds did you have before male pattern baldness set in gardener? By the way it is "normal" to lose 100-20,000 hairs per day. Well that's what we all tell ourselves anyway...

Axon

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
male pattern baldness is NOT a disease where you LOSE lots of hairs each day. The problem is not in losing hair, the problem with male pattern baldness sufferers is that after LOSING the hair the new hair grows back thinner, or grows back as almost invisible 'vellous' hairs.

So, hate to break your main assumption, but you CANNOT make any judgements about the severity of a shed you are going through. Even people WITHOUT male pattern baldness go through sheds.

My son, you now understand why I no longer post information.

And yes, Male Pattern Baldness is a mechanism of miniturization. Otherwise you'd be bald (N7) within weeks. Approximately 10,000 follicles on the scalp....100 hairs*100 days= 10,000 = N7 in 13 weeks + 3 days.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
20something said:
Axon said:
Approximately 10,000 follicles on the scalp....100 hairs*100 days= 10,000 = N7 in 13 weeks + 3 days.

Is it not approximately 100,000?

It is approx 100K... + 20k for blondes, and 20K less for redheads. On average.

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:

That sounds about right. I dyed my hair red the other day and woke up with 20,000 hairs on my pillow. Man, what a shed!

Axon

Reaction score
Thought it was 10,000.

Nope, 100,000. Now I'm gonna watch all your f*****g posts for the slightest misstep. :)

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well I don't even see my hairs I lose anymore.. :cry:

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:

It sucks having red hair like me. Although my hair has slowly lost a lot of its red and is now closer to brown than red, I still started with 20-40k less than most people.

G

I lose a ton of hairs a day but its no big deal. Before I started hair loss treatment my hairs falling out where really thin and unhealthy, and not 2 long. Now the hairs im shedding look a lot better. It seems all my hair is getting thicker towards the root.

Reaction score
Same here...but I would say that I notice about 25 hairs lost...but I bet I lose way more than that a day. showers...sleep...just falling...

No big deal as I hope they will eventually be replaced by healthy hair within the 1-3 year cycle.

reallysad

Reaction score
Maybe I come across as being naive when I asked that question. However, what I really wanted to know if you guys read my earlier post properly is how has hair treatment affected your hairloss.

Has there been cases where hairloss remained the same or increased but yet hair density went up?

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Well now reallysad, I'd be reallyhappy, if I only lost 20-30 hairs per day! Really, if that is all you're losing, wow! But I guess it's relative to how many hairs you have left on your head. But just for comparisons sake, on a good day I probably lose at least 50-75 hairs. Don't even want to think about a bad day...............but, the other posters are right. Given the amount of hair I lose on some days you would think a Q ball head was just weeks away. Not so though, doesn't work that way.

As far as your question about treatments..................I think I lose probably about as much hair as before(maybe a little less), but I maintain the density(could never really figure out exactly how that works). Havn't really noticed a marked increase in density. I have been successful at drastically slowing my loss, I really don't think any product that I have used has grown any hair. But keep in mind I do not respond well to the "growth stimulators" like Minoxidil. I just started Avodart and am considering a copper peptide topical. Maybe I'll grow some new hair, but I will be happy if I can just maintain what I have.

P.S.- One odd thing I noticed over the years is this........when I deep clean my scalp with Polysorbate 80 I lose a TON of hair while doing the cleaning (rubbing it into scalp for 15-20 minutes). I remember thinking, "Man if I do this everyday, I'll be bald in no time." I don't do that everyday, but regardless, even with all the hair shedding while doing that I could never tell a difference. I guess sometimes we don't realize just how much hair we have up there!