how long does it take grafts to start growing out?

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
College here is another series of pictures of a hair transplant patient. (Shane from Alvi Armani)

My transplants seem to be taking a similar course to his. I keep waiting for all these sprouts to start popping up, but like you said, they seem to grow faster than normal hairs, and it looks by these pictures that it will be around the 6-7 month mark where real progress is made. And month 8-9 is where it really starts looking good.

http://www.alviarmanihairtransplant.com/

haleystudios

Reaction score
CCS,
I believe from my reading that posters say that 7000-9000 Graft of donor,
thus making the average 8,000.
i am glad that Armani can harvests more than the average.....

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Follically Challenged said:
College here is another series of pictures of a hair transplant patient. (Shane from Alvi Armani)

My transplants seem to be taking a similar course to his. I keep waiting for all these sprouts to start popping up, but like you said, they seem to grow faster than normal hairs, and it looks by these pictures that it will be around the 6-7 month mark where real progress is made. And month 8-9 is where it really starts looking good.

http://www.alviarmanihairtransplant.com/

Did you see his hair transplant in person??? What did you think? Thick???? Pics are tricky sometimes.

I saw Jeff's it was the BEAST!!! Amazing.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Next week I will be at 4 months. It's stating to really grow in. I have to say it's one of the most exciting times in my life. Very close to the walk off home run in little league. 8)

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
Did you see his hair transplant in person??? What did you think? Thick???? Pics are tricky sometimes.

I saw Jeff's it was the BEAST!!! Amazing.

Yep I saw it in person. Looked fantastic. I would have never thought it was a hair transplant, and he wasn't combing it forward either.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm just bummed because I'd look a LOT better if my grafts were growing out right now. I hope I don't have to wait 18 months. This is my youth, or what is left of it. At least I gained 3-4 pounds of muscle in the last 30 days. Maybe some of it is fat. But my bench press is up 20 pounds, and everything else is up 10-25%.

I'm still tempted to take dr keene's offer and go see her, though I don't see what she could possibly do about it except reasure me it will grow out later.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
College, can you post some pictures of your hair cuz I can't tell anything from your myspace pics. I am curious to see what it looks like.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I'm just bummed because I'd look a LOT better if my grafts were growing out right now. I hope I don't have to wait 18 months. This is my youth, or what is left of it. At least I gained 3-4 pounds of muscle in the last 30 days. Maybe some of it is fat. But my bench press is up 20 pounds, and everything else is up 10-25%.

I'm still tempted to take dr keene's offer and go see her, though I don't see what she could possibly do about it except reasure me it will grow out later.

CCS,

Relax man. If you have to wait 18 onths you will still have your youth. Think of this. If you had to wait 18 months for the lotto would you have a problem? When they grow out and the result you desire is there....you hit the lotto my man. You're doing everything you can just wait on mother nature. 8)

CCS

Reaction score
I called my friend who first talked me into getting hair grafts. He said it is normal to not have anything for 4 months, then start getting some growth, and by 6 months have a lot of growth. I'm at exactly 5 months, and still am at about 5%. That is a little disturbing, but still OK I guess.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I called my friend who first talked me into getting hair grafts. He said it is normal to not have anything for 4 months, then start getting some growth, and by 6 months have a lot of growth. I'm at exactly 5 months, and still am at about 5%. That is a little disturbing, but still OK I guess.

It is possible that the hair the surgeon selected may have been in the telogen phase and it is taking longer. Remember hair goes thru cycles.

You should be fine. :)

CCS

Reaction score
Only 10% is in telogen. I'd be very pleased if a surgen could see all the telogen follicles and transplant them as well. The up side of FUE is no telogen follicles can be discarded. I'm just not sure how visible a telogen follicle without a hair is, especially since follicles shrink. Maybe a pore marks the spot. I hope docs think of that.

G

CCS,

I have read about a new cutting station under study and even being used on a limited basis that has an illuminated background which has a special HUE effect and can potentially highlight the dermal papilla within the hair follicule to enable the microscopic dissection of a telogen hair follicle. Not sure if I would want any miniturizing follicles re-implanted into the recipient area because those are obvious subject to DHT. There should not be any miniturized follicules in terminal hair zones anyway.

How's the new hair doing anyway? :hairy:

CCS

Reaction score
my hair is still the same as it has always been. Just about a total of 50 hairs that I've counted.

There would not be any minaturized hairs in the donor are, but 10% are in the telogen phase. And if you read about the hair cycle, you will learn that after a hair is shed and the blood supply retracts, the follicle shrinks and months later will start over again near the surface of the skin and gradually decend down into the fatty tissue as the hair shaft thickens. They are not "minaturized", but during the hair cycle they can get really small, and without a hair in them, I don't know how surgeon would see them and not disgard that 10% when cutting up the donor strip. At least with FUE, the unseen follicle is left in place in the donor area. I asked Dr Keene, and she said with her high magnification, she can see them better than other doctors can.

CCS

Reaction score
Maybe it is my imagination, but a lot of the pours in the area where I am expecting grafts do look bigger and more pronounced. Still no hair, but I just get the feeling it might pop out soon.