how long does it take for propecia to leave your system?

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair loss had completely haulted... i virtually never could pull a hair from my head. Now i recently ran our of my prescription and haven't taken it in almost a week, now i seem to be losing hairs... should i be concerned? will it take another 3 monthes to begin working again? any advice would be appreciated.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
This thread belongs in the Propecia forum.

There is no accurate way to tell you if the hair you are losing now is a result of stopping the finasteride. If you are worried about it and saw results while taking it, then the simple solution is to resume treatment. Its pretty much water under the bridge if you plan to continue taking it.

HairLossTalk.com

Milks

Reaction score
Someone posted a graph showing how propecia continued to effect DHT levels even after stopping taking it. I wish I could find the post now, it basically seemed to have some effect on DHT for about a week after stopping, but only really having a significant effect on DHT for the first 3 or so days.

Thats the effect on DHT but it takes much longer for the benefits from taking finasteride to be lossed once stopped, something in the region of 6 months to a year for your scalp to revert back to how it would been if you hadn't ever taken the drug if I remember correctly. At any rate a few hairs lost is nothing to lose sleep over at this stage

I've a related question to this, I've always wondered how long I would have to stay off finasteride if my g/friend and I wanted to try for a baby, any ideas?