How Long does finasteride work?

surferosa123

Reaction score
Hey there,

Just a question for those on finasteride:

How long does it work? I know this varies from person to person, I also read a lot about finasteride gradually lusing it's effect after 5 years and so on....

What are the facts?

Thx!

Surferosa

jfhawk06

Established Member
Reaction score
depends, but five years seems to be the popular answer. of course, there have been posters here who have been on finasteride for 10 years, it just seems to be more rare.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Finasteride always works; it's the balding process that changes. Do a search or read some of my old posts.

D.

Atlas

Reaction score
finasteride will always work to some degree, most regrowth will occur during the first year, maintain through the second year, then slowly go down year by year.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Atlas said:
finasteride will always work to some degree, most regrowth will occur during the first year, maintain through the second year, then slowly go down year by year.

No. Finasteride will always do its job. It will not lose its effectiveness in blocking DHT. The problem is that the body changes and male pattern baldness accelerates. For instance, the hair follicles might become _more_ sensitive to DHT, causing hair to fall out. Still for many, finasteride works for 10+ years in maintenance.

D.

vwsimple

Reaction score
you guys arent getting it. a normal person loses hair at a certain rate too, it just isnt male pattern baldness.

What i mean is, finasteride makes you only lose hair like a non-male pattern baldness person does, gradually. so after you get your regrowth after one or two years, you will gradually decline like everyone does, including women, nothing irregular about it.

face it, everyone will lose some amount of hair as they age, just not necessarily go full out bald.