how long does finasteride work for in the long term?

ihatemylife223

My Regimen
Reaction score
i can't find much about it looking at it up on google. i was wondering how long do you think finasteride lasts if we're talking decades or a lifetime? i remember i used to look into it a few years ago and i think i saw some decent 10 year long results and i think there was study around the 10 mark.

how long does finasteride maintain for if you take it for a lifetime? i guess propecia came out in 1997 so there's probably not much information on 10+ years of usage.

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
It depends on the person and what you value as a source, studies show decent long term efficacy (10+ years I think) but according to people here it works for only a couple of years if you're lucky enough for it to work at all or even accelerate your hairloss

ihatemylife223

My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends on the person and what you value as a source, studies show decent long term efficacy (10+ years I think) but according to people here it works for only a couple of years if you're lucky enough for it to work at all or even accelerate your hairloss
i used to think that too.. i've been looking around lately and i've been hearing a lot more stories of people on it for 10+ years and all saying it's still working good.

br1

Reaction score
it's been working for me for 20+ yrs now. not sure what you're talking about ..

ihatemylife223

My Regimen
Reaction score
Idk, i'm eating 2.5mg everyday now as 1mg is not enough for me
wouldn't it be better to just do 1.25mg since it doesn't seem to do much past that? might make more sense to take 1mg in 12 hour intervals to make sure it's always fresh in your system

inmyhead

Reaction score
Any increase in sides since upping your dose ?
No sides, I only getsides from dutasteride.

wouldn't it be better to just do 1.25mg since it doesn't seem to do much past that? might make more sense to take 1mg in 12 hour intervals to make sure it's always fresh in your system
Finasteride half life is up to 8hours, so If I take 2.5mg, I will still have 1.25mg active finasteride in my body after 8 hours, so almost the same as taking it twice.
About the dose - some guy was claiming that studies did not show much difference in DHT, but there were difference in hair counts, 2.5mg being more effective - so it doesn't hurt to try.

ihatemylife223

My Regimen
Reaction score
No sides, I only getsides from dutasteride.

Finasteride half life is up to 8hours, so If I take 2.5mg, I will still have 1.25mg active finasteride in my body after 8 hours, so almost the same as taking it twice.
About the dose - some guy was claiming that studies did not show much difference in DHT, but there were difference in hair counts, 2.5mg being more effective - so it doesn't hurt to try.
yeah i'll look into it i may take 2-2.5mg before trying dutasteride depending on how my hair goes.

Odie

Established Member
Reaction score
Been taking finasteride since 2008. It has stopped my balding. Wish I had started earlier.

Reactions: br1

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Started around '06 and it worked to stop progress for maybe 10ish years, like has been mentioned, and then started getting worse in the corners again. I'm positive that it still works, but when you hit a certain age, you get more sensitive to whatever process is going on and it can't keep up

Speenybean

My Regimen
Reaction score
i can't find much about it looking at it up on google. i was wondering how long do you think finasteride lasts if we're talking decades or a lifetime? i remember i used to look into it a few years ago and i think i saw some decent 10 year long results and i think there was study around the 10 mark.

how long does finasteride maintain for if you take it for a lifetime? i guess propecia came out in 1997 so there's probably not much information on 10+ years of usage.
I was taking 1 mg of finasteride a day for almost 8 years with absolutely no hair loss. Probably in the last three months I have reduced my dosage to 1 -1 1/4 mg every other day. Since my reducing my dosage to every other day I have definitely noticed some hair shedding but nothing significant at the moment