how long 4 Propecia to work? Real answers by users here

ke3pup

Reaction score
hi guys

i know its said that Propecia would stop hair loss after 3 months in treatment but how long does it really take? i started having hair loss around the temple area about 6 months ago. i've been on Propecia for about 2 months now... hair loss hasn't stopped! everytime i take a shower there's some 15 hair pieces in my hand! i dont want regrowth i just want to keep what i have... so how long did it take you guys to notice your hair loss has slowed or stopped? does it really stop? thanx

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
ke3pup said:
hi guys

i know its said that Propecia would stop hair loss after 3 months in treatment but how long does it really take? i started having hair loss around the temple area about 6 months ago. i've been on Propecia for about 2 months now... hair loss hasn't stopped! everytime i take a shower there's some 15 hair pieces in my hand! i dont want regrowth i just want to keep what i have... so how long did it take you guys to notice your hair loss has slowed or stopped? does it really stop? thanx

ke3pup,

it's important to note that you may start to see results after 3 months but it can take up to 1 year before it starts to work. you have to give it a full year before you decide whether propecia is working for you or not.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ke3pup said:
hi guys

MErc says 3 months are for the best responders acordng to their trials. for most people it is 6 months and up.

Give it 2 years.....Meanwhile u dont need to wait long to find out if it works.
1st sign it works is that the Itching will stop
2nd sign is that after 6 months to 1 year. your balding areas will be covering up.
When all these are happening, U will still see hair shedding all the time but the regrowing hair will grow back thicker . The shedding will gradually decrease over time...and one day it will all just stop...probably around the 2 year mark...

Because propecia will not give instant results. its results are slow and gradual at least for most people

G

i have seen a lot of guys saying:

"started taking propecia. Hairloss Stopped"

But they don't say when it stopped, when they say it that way it looks like it stopped almost in the same week/month.

G

chewbaca said:

one moment, are you saying that the itching is caused by the DHT?

I thought the itching was caused by dandruff and oily scalp.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
chewbaca said:

The itching is caused by DHT. Of course dandruff can also cause itchiness
But those suffering from male pattern baldness will know tha famous itch.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

at one year you should be able to determine whether finasteride is working. "Working" can be defined by regrowth, maintainence or just improement in the appearance of your hair. At one year I am about at baseline but my hair seems thicker and darker. I think that it has worked for me.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
10 months into finasteride and my hair was noticeably worse. Much worse.

I regret not waiting those 2 extra months to see what if I would have recovered from a massive shed I had about 8-9 months into it.

G

Aplunk1 said:

I regret not waiting those 2 extra months to see what if I would have recovered from a massive shed I had about 8-9 months into it.

are you sure it has gotten worse? are you not exagerating?

from your pics in that page i always see a FULL HEAD OF GREAT HAIR.

I would not go into dutasteride with that amount of hair man, you have more hair than those not suffering from male pattern baldness. just crazy.

good luck.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
Aplunk1 said:

are you sure it has gotten worse? are you not exagerating?

from your pics in that page i always see a FULL HEAD OF GREAT HAIR.

I would not go into dutasteride with that amount of hair man, you have more hair than those not suffering from male pattern baldness. just crazy.

good luck.

Heh, No, I'm not exaggerating.

About 1 year ago, I noticed a bald spot on the crown of my head-- an actual bald spot about the size of a nickel or quarter. I don't remember exactly. I went on Propecia, and my bald spot eventually went away.

So, Propecia has given me coverage over the bald spot.

The camera that I have isn't too great. After all, my hair is buzzed down, so the thinning is less noticeable. In addition, the hair shafts are significantly thinner and less pigmented than they were about 1 year ago from now.

I have some high quality pictures of my head taken from a Kodak camera that will be developed this week. I'll post them on my website. They show the thinning in standard lighting conditions.

I'm using dutasteride to help increase the quality and vitality of my hair, as well as help fill in the diffuse thinning and recession that's taking place. It seems to be working with my regimen. I'm also trying to stop pulling out my hair, which is a problem I've had. I'm seeing a psychiatrist on Monday to probably start an anti-anxiety medication.

I feel a little bit better about my hair. I can honestly look in the mirror without having a mental breakdown and start crying now. I guess that's an improvement. It's funny that just one year ago, the hair all over my head (except for a small bald spot) could be styled easily and looked thick and nice.

How many 20 year olds, NW1-2, diffuse thinning 5, have you seen on dutasteride? Not many, and I think that I've got a great regimen for maintaing my hair for the next couple of years.

Once my hairloss stabilizes (I've been shedding from the hairline and temples-- although there seems to be more regrowth here, too. However, with the addition of topical spironolactone, it seems that the shedding has now almost halted, or at least been significantly slowed down), I will grow it out long and spike it like I used to.

It's too bad, I really wish I could spike my hair and cover up the recession like I used to, but I'll have to make do for now.

I'm considering having an FUE of 800+ grafts to beef up the hairline and straighten it out. It's uneven in certain places. Any comments?

I hope that this clarifies a few things about my reason for being on dutasteride. It's offering me more regrowth, no sexual sides (unlike Propecia), and a hope that maybe one day my hairloss situation might be better.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Aplunk,
You are allowing your youthful insecurities to take over. You look fine and will one day look back and regret all the lost time you spent worrying about your hair.

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
chewbaca said:
GoodGuy said:
chewbaca said:

This must be true. I have noticed my scalp is not itchy? I'm almost 2 months into the finasteride now. My hair looks darker to me too? This is really strange. :freaked: The minoxidil does'nt seem to make by scalp as itchy as well. :roll:

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Steve4263 said:
chewbaca said:
GoodGuy said:
chewbaca said:

This must be true. I have noticed my scalp is not itchy? I'm almost 2 months into the finasteride now. My hair looks darker to me too? This is really strange. :freaked: The minoxidil does'nt seem to make by scalp as itchy as well. :roll:

It means finasteride is working for u....The result of regrowth is another matter thoough....

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
so if the itching stops it means the finasteride is working right? But ive gone from a solid norwood 2 (thick everywhere, just temple receding) to almost norwood 3, thinning in 5 pattern after 19 months usage. Im 22. Is this a success story? I dunno. Im not happy with my hair. It looks like sh*t. Aplunk, i relate to you. I remember lookin in the mirror and just freaking out and this was when I had much better hair than i do now. i may jump on th e dutasteride. But i do want the temples to get hit hard...they are already pretty beat...topical spironolactone???

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to add that as soon as I started taking propecia my head stopped itching completely for a while but started back up again eventually. I've been on it for a year and 1 month and I'd say I've maintaned and maybe just a tad bit slightly thicker. Also developed some fine hairs on the temples. Maintaining is all I expected so I'll say it worked.

ChiaPet

Reaction score
It took about 6 months until I realized finasteride/min/nizoral was working for me. Started regimen mid Jan '05 and noticed complete thickening of vertex and some filling in on top by mid June '05.

I probably lost a good 5-10% density the first four months, and I recovered by the 6th month. Then from month 7-11 1/2 was straight downhill. Shedding continued again, and I dropped below baseline. By the 12th month (Jan'06) , I recovered again.

My hair brilliance has improved - my hair is thicker and darker, but I still have a huge forehead with a receeding hairline. (Still Norwood 2 ...maybe 2.5)..

All I can tell you is that it works differently for everyone. You cannot base your future results on other people - the only thing you can do is suck it up and go through it like everyone else is.

If, by month 12, you are STILL losing hair, then maybe try altering your regimen.