How is Finax or other generic propecia working for You?

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to know who can attest to anything from Dr. Reddy's and whether or not the produt worked/is working!!

Dr. Reddy's makes an FDA approved generic proscar that is sold here in the US now. Also, Dr. Reddy's was approved for generic 1mg propecia, but is not able to sell it in the US market since Merck's patent on propecia doesn't expire until 2012!!

Dr. Reddy’s Labs has been approved with an ANDA number by the FDA for generic 1mg Finasteride. However, it appears that Merck was able to stop them from bringing it to market and extend the Propecia patent out for several more years. Do you know if the “Finaxâ€￾ that online pharmacies distribute is the same pill (by Dr. Reddy’s) that the FDA approved last year?

My concern is that there may not be any quality control for bioequivalence with “Finaxâ€￾ when compared to Propecia, since it is not yet being funneled through the FDA. In other words, how do I know that I am getting exactly 1mg of Finasteride in each pill of Finax? Are there any testing or other regulations to show that the pills are legitimate?
Do online pharmacy companies (some of the reputable ones metnioned on here) always buy directly from Dr. Reddy’s labs? I have heard from others that sometimes the pills ship from Hong Kong?

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
ok---that's probably too confusing, let me ask it more simply.............

WHO has been taking Finax or Finast for more than 6 months?

How long have you been taking it and how is it working for you?

Does it work as good, not as good, or better than brand-name propecia?

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that stuff is bogus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's why we have no one on here who has taken it for 1 year or more who can report satisfactory results.

oh well, i'm sticking to the american stuff

beaner

Reaction score
I took finasteride made by Cipla for 11 months before switching to a proscar prescription just last month. It will be one year to the day tomorrow since I started with the Cipla finasteride and there has been no difference since I changed to the generic US finasteride about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Hair is still improving. I can't vouch for Reddy's but I can see no logical reason why it would be any less effective. There are or at least were many who have had success with the Indian generics. "Hawaii male" being one of them that I recall. Use the search function and I'm sure you'll find plenty of reports of success with them.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
beaner, what are you paying? I'm paying $60 for a months supply of Propecia.

beaner

Reaction score
klink said:

I was paying about 45 dollars for 100 1mg Finpecia and then about 30 dollars for 30 5mg Fincar. These were purchased at either inhousepharmacy or unitedpharmacies. I think I paid either 67or 76 dollars for 30 5mg pills purchased in the pharmacy. It's a bit more expensive than online, but I had 2 orders taken by customs and that part of it was a pain in the ***. I actually cut them into 6 for about .83/mg day. It's easier to get same size pieces and I doubt .83mg is any less effective than 1mg.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
klink said:

I was paying about 45 dollars for 100 1mg Finpecia and then about 30 dollars for 30 5mg Fincar. These were purchased at either inhousepharmacy or unitedpharmacies. I think I paid either 67or 76 dollars for 30 5mg pills purchased in the pharmacy. It's a bit more expensive than online, but I had 2 orders taken by customs and that part of it was a pain in the ***. I actually cut them into 6 for about .83/mg day. It's easier to get same size pieces and I doubt .83mg is any less effective than 1mg.

how did you cut them into equal size pieces like that? were u cutting proscar? what were u using and how did you cut without crumbling the pill?

beaner

Reaction score
blakes30 said:
beaner said:
klink said:

how did you cut them into equal size pieces like that? were u cutting proscar? what were u using and how did you cut without crumbling the pill?

I never used name brand Proscar, only round generics. I use a pill cutter to cut them in half then I take one of the halves and set it at an angle and make another cut which I can usually get to be exactly 1/3 of the half pill. Then just cut the remaining piece in half. Repeat with other half of pill. It takes a bit of practice and of course some will crumble on occasion or the pieces may be a bit uneven but it's definitely economical since you get 6 months out of 30 pills.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i really don't think there's much of a difference. i'm currently on Dr Reddy's Finax, before i was on Cipla Fincar and before Merck Proscar... can't really notice that much difference. after all, it should all be finasteride. i've also heard that it's such a cheap drug, it would cost more for them to fake it than to sell the real thing.

G

blakes30 said:
EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that stuff is bogus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's why we have no one on here who has taken it for 1 year or more who can report satisfactory results.

oh well, i'm sticking to the american stuff

You're basing the legitimacy of Dr. Reddy's pharmaceuticals solely based on the fact that you got zero responses to a very specific question???

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
well,

why isn't there anyone who has been on the generic propecia (from India) for over a year speaking up???????????

seeves

Reaction score
I have been on finpecia since june 2005 and i would not say i really regrew any hair but it definately slowed down my hairloss considerably. I feel its pretty good for maintaine but regrowing is alittle harder without throwing in minoxidil.

charlieparker

Reaction score
i also use fincar and it has worked for me in maintaining my hair. i actually switched from regular propecia, which had not worked for 1.5 years. a few months later, taking 1.25 mg of finasteride per week, i finally noticed it was having an effect.

G

blakes30 said:
well,

why isn't there anyone who has been on the generic propecia (from India) for over a year speaking up???????????

I couldn't answer that question, but I still don't see any causality between "nobody speaking up" to "this stuff is bogus".

You asked for Finax too, does this mean responses from people taking a Cipla finasteride isn't sufficient? Maybe that's why you didn't get any response either since you asked about Finax specifically.

I've been on 0.25mg Finax EOD myself for two months, but you wanted responses from somebody taking it longer than one year. I couldn't tell you if it works on my regimen since I've only been on it for 2 months but at least I can say no side effects (knock on wood).

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
fair enough

your'e right--- i'm probably jumping to conclusions

i was considering the generics to save the money

i guess the reality is, i have to make the decision for myself---there is no amount of reassurance that will totally make me feel 100% at ease---but for the most part, i have heard mostly positive things about the generics