How do I know, whether my hair smells?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I've heard hair systems can start smelling. How do I make sure mine does not? Any tricks? Thanks!

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've heard hair systems can start smelling. How do I make sure mine does not? Any tricks? Thanks!
That's a hard one. I'll be going about life, thinking hair is great....then I'll use a blow dryer...to style... and detect an unpleasant odor. All I can suggest is be sure to wash weekly...and use a blow dryer...on dry hair... once in a while as a sniff test... and to essentially air it out.. If I had to guess.... the odor is from under the poly and from sebum and deteriorated adhesive...
unfortunately the above suggestion won't remedy that cause...only a complete redo will.....

Fanjeera

Reaction score
That's a hard one. I'll be going about life, thinking hair is great....then I'll use a blow dryer...to style... and detect an unpleasant odor. All I can suggest is be sure to wash weekly...and use a blow dryer...on dry hair... once in a while as a sniff test... and to essentially air it out.. If I had to guess.... the odor is from under the poly and from sebum and deteriorated adhesive...
unfortunately the above suggestion won't remedy that cause...only a complete redo will.....
Blow dryer dryes and damages the hair :(. How often do you use it?
Washing and getting it wet, though, can cause it to become damp and the moist occluded there and thus cause some incubation (is this the correct word?). Also leave-in conditioner causes moisture, so maybe less of that could help.

Any other way to dry hair other than blow dryer?

Last edited:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blow dryer dryes and damages the hair :(. How often do you use it?
Washing and getting it wet, though, can cause it to become damp and the moist occluded there and thus cause some incubation (is this the correct word?). Also leave-in conditioner causes moisture, so maybe less of that could help.

Any other way to dry hair other than blow dryer?
A blow dryer,by design, doesn't damage a system. I've done it for many years. I wouldn't put it on the hottest setting.... but using on cool is not damaging whatsoever..... it's no different than sitting in front of a fan....
Moisture can lead to a musty odor. However the act of getting it wet doesn't. It's the result of leaving it wet. This is why it's best to pat dry with a towel and use a hair dryer set on cool/warm...

Last edited:

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When I had lovely thick luscious hair, I would run my fingers through and sniff the tips. This was generally a trusty indicator if I needed to wash it given a) when I had last washed it b) the weather c) my activity

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
When I had lovely thick luscious hair, I would run my fingers through and sniff the tips. This was generally a trusty indicator if I needed to wash it given a) when I had last washed it b) the weather c) my activity
The hair itself is ok, but the base may get a smell that's a mixture of conditioner and intense skin.