how do i find the best?

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am in kingston ontario how do i find the best person or company for hairtransplanting ? Pls help!

Ive read a few Faqs and to be honest it doesnt really sound all that bad. Aparently its not a very painful procedure specialy these days with exceptional hair transplant surgeons.

MY only thing is as long as i get to keep my hair can cover the dots where i got grafted! I dont want to shave my head that would be HORRIBLE :freaked2: :hairy:

s.a.f

Reaction score
All the best surgeons shave the head for the procedure. Also are you thinking of strip or Fue surgery. Anyway spend at least 6months researching first. Consult with the big names in the business and most important dont be afraid to travel for it. So many people go to their nearest clinic and get butchered. Getting on a plane is a small price to pay for getting good results.

s.a.f

Reaction score
The donor area would have to be shaved down and yes the recipient area as well. This is how all the top Docs work. The Doctor does the shaving at the start of the procedure.

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
SAF, I respectfully dissagree. All of the top surgeons do not always shave the recipient area. For a 500 graft procedure it should not be necessary. I think we would all agree that Dr. Shapiro is one of the world's top surgeons. I recently saw a procedure he did of about 1600 grafts. He did not shave the recipient area.

G

Are you sure you want to start surgery with 500 grafts? IMO, it's not worth it to start a hair transplant with 500 grafts because it really won't make much of a difference for most people, visually speaking. What hairloss class are you in and where do you wish the grafts to go?

G

gillenator said:
Are you sure you want to start surgery with 500 grafts? IMO, it's not worth it to start a hair transplant with 500 grafts because it really won't make much of a difference for most people, visually speaking. What hairloss class are you in and where do you wish the grafts to go?

what's the minimum graft and norwood class that you think surgery is worth correcting?

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
anyways ive found the best hair transplant dr there is in the world. IT seems to be DR ARmani. IF anyone disagrees with me pls speak up. :hairy:

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Armani does look amazing from its photo's and is close location for you...

Dr's I spoke to say its easier with short hair but shaving area is not essential apart from strip where the donor section has to be shaved.
Fue did seem expensive and thins out the whole donor area so strip is cheaper and more effective for decent number of grafts. Make sure you are on meds and stable with hair first or you'll be back for more...

s.a.f

Reaction score
No one is definatly the best. Armani is one of the best I also like Hassan & Wong. I had repair work with Dr Feller and he's a good bet.
As for the earliear question what is the max Norwood you can correct. It depends on the individual and their hair supply/characteristics. H&W's Jotronics was a nw6 repair patient and he got a fantastic result. (although some on here would'nt like it because its not a low nw1 hairline.) To sum up it is possible to get good results up to and including nw6 but dont expect perfection. (once you've lived as a nw6 you wont mind so much anyway)

haleystudios

Reaction score
i have to agree with nick and cateyes. Armani, to me, has the best results, and i have seen them in person. UNF#$$#$$ BELIEVABLE..... i am having 2 procedures with him in a couple of months, he truely cares about his patients and is a great man....
BUT... Hasson and Wong, and Dr. Cole are great too, its really a person preference..... Armani will work on younger patients and is aggressive... so i will save you 6 months of research because i did for over a year and a half with my mistake with MHR.....
in ALF order....
1. Armani
2. Arvind
3. Cole
4. Fellar
5. Hasson and Wong

G

s.a.f said:
As for the earliear question what is the max Norwood you can correct. I

I don't think anyone asked that. At least I didn't see it in the thread.

What I asked was what gillenator or anyone else thought the minimum Norwood is that one should be before getting an hair transplant. Like should a 1.5 get one, or a 2? Or is it not worth it if you're below 2.5?

G

How old is Dr. Armani?

And what Norwood would you guys say that Shane was pre-hair transplant? 2 or 3? I can't decide.

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
anyways i have my money saved in my bank account and IM willing to make a trip and go see dr armani I was hoping next week so we can talk about myself and see what he can do for me and the risks! But omg ive tried to post inhis forum for days I have not seen nothing!@ NIce way of doing businesss if you dont take the time to answer potential patients questions

DR JONES IS another dr who answered my questions ASAP what do you guys think? Should i go for him instead??? he seems qalified but not as commerialized as dr armani

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cateyes81 said:
anyways i have my money saved in my bank account and IM willing to make a trip and go see dr armani I was hoping next week so we can talk about myself and see what he can do for me and the risks! But omg ive tried to post inhis forum for days I have not seen nothing!@ NIce way of doing businesss if you dont take the time to answer potential patients questions

DR JONES IS another dr who answered my questions ASAP what do you guys think? Should i go for him instead??? he seems qalified but not as commerialized as dr armani

I really havent heard anything good about Jones. He's a bit of a flake, posted his hair transplant journey on his website including info about his sex life....very weird and way to much info. Do a search on HLH about Jones. You will find alot of interesting threads.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gorpy said:
SAF, I respectfully dissagree. All of the top surgeons do not always shave the recipient area. For a 500 graft procedure it should not be necessary. I think we would all agree that Dr. Shapiro is one of the world's top surgeons. I recently saw a procedure he did of about 1600 grafts. He did not shave the recipient area.

I agree! You're right they dont. I had mine about 1500 with Cole and only the donor region was shaved down, like a marine boot camp cut. My recipient region didnt have to be done. Cole takes alot of flak about it from H/W cheerleaders on HLH.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cateyes81 said:
i would have to shave my head for just a simple 500 FUE?

Why dont you post some pics with high resolution of ur hairline, sides, back and crown and only then can we give you the appropriate feedback.
If it's 500 g's then is it the hair loss or temples? Small procedures can be done but in relation to the area covered.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
s.a.f said:
As for the earliear question what is the max Norwood you can correct. I

I don't think anyone asked that. At least I didn't see it in the thread.

What I asked was what gillenator or anyone else thought the minimum Norwood is that one should be before getting an hair transplant. Like should a 1.5 get one, or a 2? Or is it not worth it if you're below 2.5?

It's not cookbook! It's based on each individual's degree of loss. I knew a gent with a small part in the middle of his hair loss that gave the appearance of thinning but was more genetic in nature. He was a Norwood 1, no hairloss in any pattern but didnt like this "thin" area so he got FUE into it with I think was Dr Feller and his lunchtime FUE procedure. He looks great now so there is no answer to that question. I hope that helped. 8)

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
OK ITS DONE! I have made an appoint for a in person consultation with DR armani on the 28th of december. :freaked2:

G

Sorry about the delayed reply. Generally speaking, I would not start a hair transplant myself under Norwood class 2.5 to 3 because most of the front forelock is still there and the person does not have the appearance of "being bald". It also depends on that individual's own hair characteristics as well. A patient recently e-mailed me his pics and he had great caliper and wave. He is at a Norwood 3 but his wavy hair covers his tempopral recessions very well. He wanted my opinion and I told him if it was me, I would wait, as long as I could cover those receding areas. But many guys cannot do that because they have straight and/or finer hair characteristics. So those guys may look in the mirror at a Norwood 3 stage and feel like they are bald. Everyone's different in their own perceptions. For me, I would put it off longer.

But my real thinking was that 500 grafts hardly seems worth it because it won't make a real visual difference especially if the 500 are distributed on each side. It also implies that at such a low Norwood class, the surgery can potentially cause shockloss to the neighboring hair and actually advance his recessionary loss. Then he might not gain any visual benefit at all.