Higher Concentrations Of Dithranol Treat Alopecia Areata

zaman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28598005

Review of retrospective data. Compared with baseline, at-least 50% hair regrowth occurred in all groups: mild, moderate and severe (median treatment duration 12 months).

It is sometimes used in psoriasis. I wonder if the mechanism could have any effect on Androgenetic Alopecia? Seeing as it has been around for a long time, perhaps not, but worth exploring.

"Dithranol accumulates in mitochondria where it interferes with the supply of energy to the cell, probably by the oxidation of dithranol releasing free radicals. This impedes DNA replication and so slows the excessive cell division that occurs in psoriatic plaques. In addition Dithranol may act by reducing the elevated levels of cGMP that occurs in psoriasis."

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28598005

Review of retrospective data. Compared with baseline, at-least 50% hair regrowth occurred in all groups: mild, moderate and severe (median treatment duration 12 months).

It is sometimes used in psoriasis. I wonder if the mechanism could have any effect on Androgenetic Alopecia? Seeing as it has been around for a long time, perhaps not, but worth exploring.

"Dithranol accumulates in mitochondria where it interferes with the supply of energy to the cell, probably by the oxidation of dithranol releasing free radicals. This impedes DNA replication and so slows the excessive cell division that occurs in psoriatic plaques. In addition Dithranol may act by reducing the elevated levels of cGMP that occurs in psoriasis."

I've tried it at 0.5% and it caused a black dots where the hair exits the skin, at the kind of concentrations they are talking about your skin is going to be in pretty bad shape. It may work to an extent, in that it is a kind of chemical wounding. I use tretinoin every other week which basically does the same thing but with scaling and redness. Tretinoin has also been used to treat AA.