Hi! 21 yrs, massive hairloss, unknown cause

SearchingGirl

Reaction score
Hello :) I'm new on here, I've come looking for people to chat with and a bit of support with what's happening to me. My fine, blonde hair used to be full and bouncy and long and (sounds vain) but it was lovely! Over the past few years, I noticed that my hair used to be a lot thicker in my high school photos, but I didn't know why, except that I have had a very depressing and stressful life. Now, over the last few months I have has massive amounts of shedding, and the hair just floats out all day and comes out in my hands and brush. The texture of my hair changed just before it started shedding - it went very brittle and ssooo tangled. Since I started panicking a couple of weeks ago, I've lost about a quarter of my hair and an inch of my ponytail thickness. I also have a bald/very very thin patch forming at the front. My head also feels very sensitive and painful, like a bruised or "tugging" sensation in spots which seem to appear and disappear randomly. I've had blood tests, which were normal except for borderline low ferritin and iron (have been taking supplements for a month or so with no improvement). The doctor said there is nothing else to do. I have a trichologist appointment next week and no diagnosis yet, but it seems it will take months to sort out, and I am starting to accept that , if it carries on as it is in that I will have lost most of my hair. I'm assuming that this will get worse before it gets better and I'd just like some comfort than life can go on. I'm trying to tell myself that okay, I have hair loss which may get better or worse, but I can still be productive and get on with life. I am in a time in my life when I have just moved after graduating and need to make new friends, I am worried about the effect of my hair loss on people's views of me and my confidence and ability to make friends. I just pray I can make friends (I was hoping to find a boyfriend too - what bad timing!) that are accepting and non-judgemental.. Sometimes it feels like there aren't many people left like that in the world. Thank you for reading :)

oggabogg

Reaction score
Im in the exact same situation, I had the thickest hair (you can see my thread) Im hoping it is Telogen Effluvium and will come back. I would love to talk to you so we can get our frustration out together :(

I will message you my skype. Stay strong!

Bloomingmummy

Reaction score
Hi there....reading your post was exactly the same as what I would of come on and written...same feelings in my hairline and im having hairs hanging down that I pull lightly and there coming out...all day long. Starting to get a bit worried now...as my hair is half the pony tail size it used to be. And my hair is as thin as anything anyway. what should I do...was giving it a few more weeks of observing before doctors visit. Starting taking hair vitamin tablets and just used a caffenine shampoo. What more should I do????

wmik

Reaction score
I have no right actually to reply because I'm probably old enough to be your grandfather and am just beginning my regimen. But I have done quite a bit of research. The first purchase I made was Nizoral shampoo. It's given me the cleanest scalp I've ever had but using more than prescribed can weaken the hair shaft. a DHT (dihydro-testosterone) blocker such as Azelaic Acid which is non toxic, and is safe for external topical use when used according to the instructions. Then, Minoxidil 5% or some products go to 15%.
It's my opinion from research to stay away from orals especially for someone your age. DHT production involves the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. Humans have tough systems to have survived as a species 'til now yet at the same time our systems are delicately balanced.
Good luck. Use caution. Everyone on this site will be supportive of you.

kdonald

Reaction score
Hello! I'm 21 years old and I am experiencing a lot of hair loss! I am desperate for it to stop! I started noticing more hair loss in May 2014, and it is still continuing. They took my blood and found my ferritin level to be 8!! A few weeks ago it rose to 32. What level will the shedding slow down? Also, I believe this is telogen effluvium due to low iron, and if so, how will telogen effluvium end...is it normal for it to end slowly? Some days I see hair loss about 90 others I see 200! Help!!!!!!!

kdonald

Reaction score
@healthystuff i am on natural supplements from my naturopath like ginseng, etc. Nothing seems to slow down the loss of hair! How long does it take for iron cause hair loss to stop? I am scared I will go bald!! I hope someone has positive input!

ASaphira

Reaction score
SearchingGirl, is there a chance that we could talk about your experiences related to hair loss? I am an undergraduate student based in London, trying to increase the awareness of the wider public regarding this massive burden women have to carry. I guarantee anonymity and it will not take long. We could arrange a skype session? Cannot wait for your response. Could you please email me your skype details or email to researchhairlosswomen@gmail.com. Looking forward to our discussion! :)

Badhairdayy

Reaction score
I completely understand, as a young person who has also experienced alopecia, I have always been searching for people who understand what I have been going through. Am so happy to have found this website!