Hey CCS

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey CCS,

I know you have posted about having a hair transplant procedure, but how long ago was it? how many grafts? and who did it?

From your posts regarding your procedure you seem unhappy with the results so far, can you post a photo of your result? I am just curious.

Thanks

Lucky

G

CCS,

Did you ever have your strip scar evaluated for revision or do you lack the scalp laxity at the present time? Hope you are doing well! :punk:

CCS

Reaction score
I don't have the money to fix the scar, even if I'm lax enough now. I'll just HM over it later. For now it is pretty hidden unless I play with my hair back there. But dermmatch hides it completely even if I stroke it.

I paid for 4000 grafts total. 900 from Bosely in 2003. They did not match my natural direction at all, giving me a permenant tuff. My hair waves forwards. They waved it backwards. In 2005 I had another procedure. I think it came to 1900 grafts. Almost no scar in back. The problem was the surgeon followed the direction Bosley took, rather than my natural direction. She thought it was necessary to match, and I went a long. Looking back, I think those 900 hairs might have been hidden in the 1900. So I looked even tuffier. No problem. I then made the mistake of getting a 1200 graft procedure done only 7 months after that. My Doctor asked why I was rushing, and I said I wanted more hair now. She went along. Maybe should have insisted I wait for the vascularity to fully heal. So I got the procedure, and for a long time it seemed like they never grew out. I've been counting the density lately, and I can tell that 2/3 have finally grown out now. There are 1 square inch areas though that clearly are at most 30 hairs per square centimeter. I don't know if I should blame the Doctor or my vascular genetics. Worst of all though, I have another 1/4 inch scar in back. It only stretched along a 5 inch strip though. The rest of it healed just fine.

Even in the thicker areas that may be 50 per cm2, it is just too thin for a guy in his 20's. I looked on Toplace.com, and the pic of 50% density looks like my hair in my center front. So I'm putting Dermmatch on my scar some days when I want to look my best, and I'm going to shave all my grafts and get a piece here soon. When HM comes out, I'll laser those grafts since they go the wrong way, and I'll have them put hairs in that go the right way. As long as there are glues that work in the pool, I think I'll be happy with my piece. I'll have a perfect NW1.

CCS

Reaction score
I do not question the surgeon's skill. i just think the surgeon made a mistake by following the direction of the bosley grafts and permitting me to do the last procedure so soon.

It really is noteworthy how much my standards have changed. Had you offered me a NW1 back in 2003, I would have declined and said it looks too juvenile.

CCS

Reaction score
i just remembered. Had she gone a different direction from the bosley grafts, she would have transected several of them. So she had no choice but the follow that direction. damn Bosley. I just wish I had gotten a piece instead of grafts. hair is nice, but mine goes the wrong direction and it looks bad, except right after toweling after a shower, when all my hairs are standing up and the direction difference is not noticeable.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you had a bunch of bad docs CCS, bosley are poor at best, I am sure if you went to a Doctor owned clinic your outcome would of been so different, having to use a peice after all the money you have spent must be upsetting.

Have you ever been for an evaluation to see if you could get fixed? I am sure the cost of replacing a peice every other month would work out the same if you financed having your old hair transplant's and scars put right, seems a shame to have to shave off your hair transplant hair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I think his mind is made up he wants perfect hair and its easier to get that from a piece, and you get it instantly. Another hair transplant would set back his workout regime.
Am I right CCS?

CCS

Reaction score
Yes SAF, you are right that I don't want to cut open the scar again because I hate having to set back my workouts. I'd rather use dermmatch for now and HM later to fill over it.

My second Doctor was independent.

The only repair work that could be done would be excising the scar in back, and using FUE to take out every graft I have in front and turn them 180 degrees so they curl forwards like the rest of my hairs, instead of back. And the ones on my temples are supposed to curl back and down, but my second Doctor curled them up and forwards. She says she angled them right, but they just grew out that way.

I have 4 hairs that are low enough to go below my piece and make the hairline even more real. Only problem is they angle the wrong way, and would be the rebel hairs. So I'll have to just shave them. Those 4 hairs are 1/8-1/4 inch below the rest of my hairline, and are in a line 2 inches long. I see that as proof that the rest of the hairline did not grow in, but who knows. I'm done with transplants. I should have got the piece long ago, and I'm not throwing more money at this.

CCS

Reaction score
Before you guys go on a doctor witch hunt, I want to state how high my standards are.

I was about NW4a when I went to bosely. They did not touch my temples, but did lower my hairline down to NW3 or maybe 2.5. I went back to them a few years later asking a second procedure, and the senior counselor/salesman told me I'm not bald, and asked why I was there. I had 13 grafts per cm2, so I was too think for my standards.

I posted pics of my hair at toplace.com, asking what density wig I should get. The site owners told me they can't see any hair loss and don't think I need a piece. They did not answer my density question. These guys are all NW5-6, and just put a stock piece on top of their head. They do not bother rebuilding their temples. They just keep the hairline high enough to match the temple recession. There goal is to look NW2.5 with wide temples. When they see my thin NW1.5-2, they tell me to just use dermmatch.

Well I want to date women in their early 20's. Hot women. I've never had a NW1 in my life. Well, maybe i was NW1 at age 10, but a wide one. I'm doing the extra work to design temple flaps, which most of the toplace guys do not do. I'll be getting a custom piece.

So if I'm not happy with my grafts, that does not mean everyone here should avoid hair transplant's. I'm just letting you know an hair transplant is not nearly as good as a piece. It can never be as thick or low, unless you had very mild loss. Don't get your hopes up. And don't assume that just because the pics on those sites look better than your hair that you will be happy with that high of a hair line a year after you get your grafts. Your standards will probably go up like mine, unless you are already married and over 40, and sure your wife would never leave or cheat on you.

CCS

Reaction score
and to all you young people getting grafts, I'm not convinced finasteride + nizoral is maintaining my front. Maybe it is, maybe not. Hard to tell some days. It would sure suck if you receded a bit behind the grafts and had to get a piece in the end. I've seen many guys like that. Maybe they were not on finasteride though.

CCS

Reaction score
I just got out of the shower and patted all my hair forwards on top, and back on the sides. It was a bit more obedient after the shower, but still stood up a bit. I looked pretty good. I could still tell I was thinner in front, but not bad looking. I think had I paid extra to get my temples moved forwards more, and had the hairs curls gone the right direction, and had everything grown out, I'd look good enough that I might not bother getting the piece. I'd still look better with it, but it would not be worth my bother at that point. So maybe I should not put down transplants. I still think anyone considering transplants should look into the modern pieces and realize the density limitations of transplants.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of how you looked before your hair transplant's?

collegechemistrystudent said:
I posted pics of my hair at toplace.com, asking what density wig I should get. The site owners told me they can't see any hair loss and don't think I need a piece.

Wow :shock: what does that tell you?

CCS said:
. Well I want to date women in their early 20's. Hot women.

Hey dont we all but you've got to be realistic about it. It'll take more than just a nw1 for you to get (and stay) with these women you'll have to sort out some of your other problems aswell.

CCS said:
I've never had a NW1 in my lifeWell, maybe i was NW1 at age 10, but a wide one. I'm doing the extra work to design temple flaps, which most of the toplace guys do not do. I'll be getting a custom piece.

When are you going to be getting this then? Its going to be tough for them to make a piece to your high specifications.

G

CCS,

Do whatever provides the best peace of mind for now. Someday, when you can afford it, you can in fact have the misangled hair in the front extracted with FUE and re-implanted. By then you will hopefully have even more laxity for a scar revision. I think there is potential as you get older and by then your density goals will probably subside some.