Help with Regiment for just-starting-MPBer..

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Some people have commented in my threadthat perhaps I'm not really balding.. any opinions? I mean, is this type of thinning just a side-effect of puperty or is my dad's genes starting to shine through? Damn confused now.. :(

And also, since the thinning areas are very easy to cover up.. and i'm a bit concerned about the side-effects of finasteride.. would halving dosage have a major negative impact? I mean, if i catch it early, would i need such a high dosage straight off or do you think a lower one will suffice?

Thanks !

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Most of us would kill for a head of hair like yours.

Still, its not the amount of hair, but the momentum of loss that is of concern.

You would know best if you're losing it or not.

Keep in mind, however, that it is common for people to receed a little, developing a 'mature hairline' as very young adults and then not lose any more.

I do, however, think minoxidil is a bad idea for you. You dont need any regrowth! Maintenence is enough, so if you do think you're losing it (and try to be fairly certain), then just fight the DHT angle with finasteride or spironolactone. Remember, minoxidil does not save follicles, it does not fight male pattern baldness. minoxidil merely provides an 'offset of regrowth'!! It never loses effectiveness, but you will start to lose your hair (the minoxidil is still effective, as you'll still have more hair then you would without the minoxidil). So do NOT use minoxidil to save hair you already have! That would be missing the whole point of it.

lynne

Reaction score
ok, well, when i sed i didn't look like u were losing ur hair i didn't want it to make u lose confidence in the regime u got planned. Put it this way. No one knows better than you. Beware of denying u ever suffered from hairloss when the treatments work well with you...

...but then again are u really sure u were losing? I saw ur first photo, but it was blurred so i dunno, man, try n observe subtly other people's hairlines, especially people with similar ethnic origins. tip of the day :)

The questions are:

-were those baby hairs there before you started treatment?
-is your hairline mature (if there is such a thing), 100% ok, or early in the balding stages?
-were you losing many hairs in the bath/shower etc (not an accurate way of knowing but it does usually give a strong hint at male pattern baldness)?

lynne

Reaction score
ok well now having observed ur right temple pic from month 0 to month 2 there seems to be a slight hint that u have been losing a bit and now it has improved.

hope this has helped.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
frunby said:
-were those baby hairs there before you started treatment?
-is your hairline mature (if there is such a thing), 100% ok, or early in the balding stages?
-were you losing many hairs in the bath/shower etc (not an accurate way of knowing but it does usually give a strong hint at male pattern baldness)?

THose baby hair i've never noticed before... either its because i never knew that i should have looked for them, or they are caused by the minoxidil. And while I don't remember having a lot of hairs in the shower.. I do remember a whole bunch in my styling-gel bucket 2 years back! Thats what gave me the indications that i could be balding in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for the replys! Just a few jitters i think ... I'll just stay on my regiment for the year i planned and re-evaluate then.

Anyway to add a bit more value to this thread, I'll share a bit of information. For those who are on DHT-inhibitors (eg finasteride), take note - DO NOT EAT SOY PRODUCTS! Apparently, DHT is very important in degrading estrogen, so you must limit any contact you have with it. Therefore it means don't use weird shampoos, lay off the soy, and get yourself thin !