Help Me Make a Regimen

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I initially posted this here, but was reccomended to post it here also, so here goes:

Hey all,

I am 20 going on 21 in a few days. I've been thinning since Summer of 2003. It all started off by noticing a lot of hair in my hats, which I shrugged off as nothing.

Fast forward to now and I'm a diffuse thinner with receeding temples, about a NW2.

I had been using Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner for about 7 months, then I switched to Revivogen Shampoo and Conditioner for about the last 3 months. My thinning has slowed down from the initial beginning phases, but I've been left with a lot less density on the top and continually receeding temples. The "tuft" of my hair got extremely bad about 7 months ago but has regained it's composure haha.

I'm fed up with it and I know I need to do more, but I'm not sure what. I was visiting the dermatologist last week and the only options he gave me were Propecia or Minoxidil. I would rather not be on the Propecia because of my age and the side effects.

The minoxidil would be an option, but I've heard that you should try other things and almost use it as a last resort.

I was thinking, Folligen Spray, Nizoral (2x weekly), continuing my Revivogen Shampoo, but adding their topical as well.

I'm just at my wits end with this and would like to do something to control it before it destroys me inside as well as out. I'm constantly making sure my hair is covering the spots even when my hair isn't styled. I wear hats a good majority of the time also to hide it.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
okay, i say give the propecia a try, it sounds like hairloss is affecting your life enough that at least trying it out is worth it. The side effects are reversible with discontinuation. So, if it were me, i would either ask the derm for a prescription, or try and online site if money is an issue. folligen, etc. are good products, but really are just good "additions" to a regimen and not the backbone because they are not getting at the root of the problem- DHT.

If you really think propecia is not your thing, then you should try rogaine next. (or propecia + rogaine if you want the best possible results). Its used as a "last resort" a lot of times because it can be a pain in the *** because it leaves your hair greasy for a bit. Try using Dr. Lee's minoxidil, it dries quickly. If you want to add folligen/revivogen and the like, go for it, but i wouldn't expect any miracles from those products alone.

nizoral is any easy shampoo addition as well, it has some anti-androgen effects, as well as stopping some of that nasty dandruff that sometimes creeps up when male pattern baldness hits the scalp.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Trent said:
okay, i say give the propecia a try, it sounds like hairloss is affecting your life enough that at least trying it out is worth it. The side effects are reversible with discontinuation. So, if it were me, i would either ask the derm for a prescription, or try and online site if money is an issue. folligen, etc. are good products, but really are just good "additions" to a regimen and not the backbone because they are not getting at the root of the problem- DHT.

If you really think propecia is not your thing, then you should try rogaine next. (or propecia + rogaine if you want the best possible results). Its used as a "last resort" a lot of times because it can be a pain in the *** because it leaves your hair greasy for a bit. Try using Dr. Lee's minoxidil, it dries quickly. If you want to add folligen/revivogen and the like, go for it, but i wouldn't expect any miracles from those products alone.

nizoral is any easy shampoo addition as well, it has some anti-androgen effects, as well as stopping some of that nasty dandruff that sometimes creeps up when male pattern baldness hits the scalp.

Thank you Trent. It does affect my life greatly, although I'd be happy if I could stop it in it's tracks where it is until my 30's.

That's one thing that I've never understood. I've read about all this dandruff and inflamattion from Alopecia that I've experienced none of. I have never ever had dandruff and I never get the inflamattion or anything. I've thought it could possible be Telogen Effluvium, but I've changed my opinion on that based on the pattern of the hairloss.

I also considered the fact that it was drug induced. I was on Serzone for about 6 months when my first hairloss started. I have since gotten off of it, but if that were the case it should have came back by now.

Thanks again.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well, everyone has this male pattern baldness bastard in a different way. i never really have scalp problems either, nor do i have a family history, but i'm quite sure i'm thinning, and its probably due to male pattern baldness. if maintaining is your goal, then honestly, propecia is your friend for two reasons:
1) one pill in the morning, never think about it again for the rest of the day.
2) propecia's claim to fame is maintaining (at least for five years, that's as far back as the data goes for right now, it may be longer).

so propecia would fit quite nicely into your aspirations. in the end though, its all up to you. best of luck man. may your scalp flourish.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yea, I was talking to my mother about getting on Propecia and she about had a heart attack, so I don't now.

A friend of her's was on it and they got extremely rude, angry and very unlike themselves for the time that they took it, so that kinda scares me too :(.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well, people tend to get rude and change their personality when they are stricken with hairloss, i know i have. my view of the world has changed some, more cynical. its your call man. gotta strike early for propecia to work really well though.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Trent said:
well, people tend to get rude and change their personality when they are stricken with hairloss, i know i have. my view of the world has changed some, more cynical. its your call man. gotta strike early for propecia to work really well though.

This kid was a NW4, it definantely was the pills. That was the only thing that had changed in his life since then. He was going through pretty much what can only be described as bi-polar moods. I just don't know, one part of me knows that will be what is going to maintain my hair, but the other part of me doesn't know if I can risk the side effects, especially at my age.

G

-cj- said:
Trent said:

This kid was a NW4, it definantely was the pills. That was the only thing that had changed in his life since then. He was going through pretty much what can only be described as bi-polar moods. I just don't know, one part of me knows that will be what is going to maintain my hair, but the other part of me doesn't know if I can risk the side effects, especially at my age.

Worst case scenario you take it for 3-6 months, side fx occur, you get off it, side fx go away
Best case scenario you take it 3-6 months, realize its working w/ no side effects, at 1 yr, you realize your hair is staying right where its at for at least 5 more years.......