Help! Just Restarted finasteride: BP 95/60!

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello. I just restarted finasteride (now Proscar in fifths) and my BP dropped from 105/60 to 96/60 in just one week. I've been feeling very weak. My doctor said it would do this but my BP is already low to begin with and I'm in danger of it getting too low. Will this subside with time?

For the record I'm 29 and 5' 6.5" and 143 lbs.

What should I do??!!

P.S. I think the lower number is 60, can't remember exactly what it is. I just know the top number dropped.

Thank you for your help!

Whammy

Reaction score
doesn't BP fluctuate a lot? I remember reading the information for the pharmacy BP machine, and it seemed to indicate that. Whether with an actual test by a Dr. it does that I don't know.

bombscience

Reaction score
95/60 isn't necessarily a horrible thing. Average is 120 over 80, and for many athletes 95/60 isn't a blood pressure that is out of the ordinary.

i'm not sure why you feel it is finasteride that is doing this.... did you read somewhere it was a side effect?

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I didn't read anywhere that it was a side effect, but Doctor said it would drop and sure enough it did. I feel very weak physically. Been off it 1 day now and already feel better. This BLOOD PRESSURE feels WAY too low for me. It's kinda scary.

I'm hoping that between the Tricomin and nizoral (now 2%) that maybe I can regrow at the front. I will be adding decaf green tea soon as well.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
Temples said:
Hello. I just restarted finasteride (now Proscar in fifths) and my BP dropped from 105/60 to 96/60 in just one week. I've been feeling very weak. My doctor said it would do this but my BP is already low to begin with and I'm in danger of it getting too low. Will this subside with time?

For the record I'm 29 and 5' 6.5" and 143 lbs.

What should I do??!!

P.S. I think the lower number is 60, can't remember exactly what it is. I just know the top number dropped.

Thank you for your help!

Your before and after blood pressures are normal and not significantly different from one another. Finasteride does not cause low blood pressure. Since your blood pressure is normal, you cannot attribute any symptoms to it. It is likely that the suggestion of your doctor that your blood pressure would drop and your worrying about it has created the problem in your mind (psychosomatic) . It is similar to a hypnotic suggestion.

drinkrum

Reaction score
I've never stumbled across a correlation between finasteride and blood pressure. I know a lot of people who have low blood pressure and for them it fluctuates all the time. In fact, it's so volatile that during the lows, it causes them to faint sometimes.

D.

Grandpa

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that decaf green tea isn't supposed to be as effective as the straight dope. Don't take that to the bank or anything, I'm just saying you might want to check it out.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think I read that somewhere too, but unfortunately caffeine sends shockwaves through my system. I'll have to research that a little more.

It is likely that the suggestion of your doctor that your blood pressure would drop and your worrying about it has created the problem in your mind (psychosomatic) . It is similar to a hypnotic suggestion.

He said that before I went on Propecia too but I had no side effects at all. Only this time with the Proscar cut in fifths did I have complications.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
Temples

He said that before I went on Propecia too but I had no side effects at all. Only this time with the Proscar cut in fifths did I have complications.

Think about what you are saying. Propecia and 1/5 of a Proscar are both 1mg of finasteride made by the same company.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But that's what happened.