HELP, I'm NEW to this

brosac

Reaction score
Hello all, I have some questions that I was wondering if anyone can help me out. As of 6 weeks ago I had a hedge. My hair loss is anything but gradual. I don't have any additional receding hair line or rear bald spot. My loss seems very general and wide spread. I've even lost quite a few hairs not on the top of my head as well as the some of the outer third of my eyebrows. Today, my friends and girlfriend say they can't see any difference but I can.

Backdrop: I have been expereimenting with Anabolic Steroids for about 3 years with no noticable adverse affects. The first cycles I did involved Dianabol, a very "unfriendly to hair" durg and winstrol. Next I did just winstrol. I haven't dont D-bol in over two years. Then I did winstrol and primobolin (both very friendly to hair). Finally I did winstrol and testoserone suspension. Up to and during the final cycle I had NO HAIR LOSS. As well the doses of test were only 300mg/week for 3 weeks. Nothing crazy.

It is three months post final cycle later and I am experienceing massive hair loss. I AM FREAKING OUT. I went to see the dermatologist and he says its male pattern baldness. I insisted (maybe out of denial) that it had to be something else so I made him check for thyroid problems, etc. and made him do a biopsy.

Well, the blood test came back that I am hypotyridic. I had TSH levels above 7. My derm referred me back to my primary care physician for this issue. My primary Doctor prescribed me synthroid to help out with the hypothyroidism and he seems to think that this is the culprit.

Enter the biopsy.......it came back that my scalp is "consistent with androgenic alopecia". My primary Doctor says that the diagnosis is nothing more than "normal male scalp". My derm says it confims what he thought to begin with......male pattern baldness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE F#@K!! As well, my derms says he DOESN'T think its hypothyroidism that's causing my hair loss.

I do understand that a biopsy may or may not be 100% accuarate. I also understand that I may have accelerated a genetic tendency to male pattern baldness through steroid use. Does anyone have a similar story or have any ideas for me. Have I opened a flood gate that I can't stop? should hair loss subside with discontinuation of roids? Should I be treating both conditions? Will any of my loss grow back and how the hell am I supposed to deduct what is causing my hair loss without discontinuing one of the drugs I've been prescribed?

At this point, I went from a healthy 28 year old with no medical issues and no family history of male pattern baldness to taking synthroid (for life) and taking proscar (split into 4ths for life) in about 2 weeks time. PLEASE HELP!!

I think its noteworthy that I have moderate-severe seborrhic dermatitis. I'm not sure how long I've had it but I've started using Nizoral for about 2 weeks now with general improvement.

If anyone has any ideas it would greatly be appreciated. As of right now I am a wreck. Thanks in advance.
-brosac

Yahowha

Reaction score
Hey man. I'm no Doctor and I don't know anything about thyroid problems, but it seems to me that there's still a pretty good chance that your hair loss isn't being caused by male pattern baldness. You have no family history of male pattern baldness, you have moderate to severe seb derm, and you have a thyroid problem which it seems has the potential to cause hair loss. If I were you I wouldn't start on the Proscar until you're sure that your hairloss isn't being caused by one of those other factors.

G

HOw do you know if you have a thyroid problem? What are the implications? My mom and uncle have some thyroid problems. Maybe i could too?

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I was on the juice when I was 30 and I definately think it sped up my hair loss. Actually I know It did, when I was done my cycles of cipinate, ethenate I had big time thinning on my vertex. I also dont have a thyroid and Im on 0.25 mgs of synthyroid for the rest of my life. That is due to have thyroid cancer as a child. :) I survived it Ill survive hairloss toooooooooooo.

Go me

Pce Brian

Axon

Reaction score
95% male pattern baldness. We were all in denial once. We all say "this can't be happening - I'm <insert name>, dammit! sh*t like this doesn't happen to me!"

But it does. Family history is only so important - my father was a norwood 7 at 21 and I'm a 1.5 at 24. You've had your thyroid condition all your life - you would have lost hair by now if that was the reason. You also sound like a classic diffuse thinner.

I used to tell myself that my hairloss had "stopped." I convinced myself that I had somehow reached a genetic utopia that no other man who showed early signs of balding had ever reached. I told myself all kind of crazy sh*t.

In the end, all f*****g denying it did was cause me to lose more hair. I didn't get started on the treatments until my balding had become somewhat noticeable - if I had, I'd have no thin spots. Unfortunately, however, I did wait, and I did develop a thin patch, and at this point, I really can't regrow anymore. The treatments have helped, but I still have loss that I can't reverse without surgery. 99% of the people I encounter don't notice, but that 1% is infuriating. Plus, I'm actutely aware of my own hair loss, as we all are.

Some hypothetical numbers - I would say I was at "80%" of my natural hair when I started treatment, meaning I had lost 20% of the hair I was born with. I would say that now, I am at 90-95%. Damn shame I didn't start earlier.

brosac

Reaction score
As far as how do you know if you have a thyroid problem....have your Doctor check you TSH levels. Also a check of free t3 and free t4 would probably be appropriate. It is apparantly VERY common to get hair loss with hypothyroidism. Other symptoms include, intolerance to cold (always freezing your *** off), lethargy (always tired), yellow nails, etc. There's actually quite a bit on it on the internet.

As far as everyone else. I appreciate all of the feedback. I was curious to know if anyone had experience the same rapid nature of their hair loss. In 6 weeks I think I've lost like 40% of my hedge. I can no longer spike it up in the front because its too thin. Is this a common thing for someone who has jacked their test levels? From what I can tell no. Even listening to others who've done juice, it contributed to their loss but it still didn't happen in 6 weeks. Keep it coming guys. Thanks for the input.
-brosac

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
About three months after I finished a cycle I swore it felt like I had lost 50% of my hair. I was freaking out. People I knew at that time and haven't seen in a couple of months alll looked at me and said dude what the f*** happened to your hair. It was impossible to style it like I used to. So like I said before it sounds very simular to the way mine went.

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
Axon said:
95% male pattern baldness. We were all in denial once. We all say "this can't be happening - I'm <insert name>, dammit! sh*t like this doesn't happen to me!"

But it does. Family history is only so important - my father was a norwood 7 at 21 and I'm a 1.5 at 24. You've had your thyroid condition all your life - you would have lost hair by now if that was the reason. You also sound like a classic diffuse thinner.

I used to tell myself that my hairloss had "stopped." I convinced myself that I had somehow reached a genetic utopia that no other man who showed early signs of balding had ever reached. I told myself all kind of crazy sh*t.

In the end, all f*****g denying it did was cause me to lose more hair. I didn't get started on the treatments until my balding had become somewhat noticeable - if I had, I'd have no thin spots. Unfortunately, however, I did wait, and I did develop a thin patch, and at this point, I really can't regrow anymore. The treatments have helped, but I still have loss that I can't reverse without surgery. 99% of the people I encounter don't notice, but that 1% is infuriating. Plus, I'm actutely aware of my own hair loss, as we all are.

Some hypothetical numbers - I would say I was at "80%" of my natural hair when I started treatment, meaning I had lost 20% of the hair I was born with. I would say that now, I am at 90-95%. Damn shame I didn't start earlier.

How do you know that you can't regrow anymore hair?

How can you have 90-95% of your hair and still have a somewhat noticeable thinning area? Do you have any pictures?

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
You have male pattern baldness, triggered prematurely by taking the steriods.

male pattern baldness is triggered at a specific point in a persons life. This trigger is a geneticly predetermined time, and can occur as early as 15 or as late as 60. Once the tigger is pulled there's no turning back, and scalp begins to bald at its genetically predetermined rate. Different people have very different rates of male pattern baldness, some very fast, some slow and most in between.

What youve effectively done by taking the steriods is to pull the male pattern baldness trigger prematurely.

The good news is you can halt and reverse male pattern baldness through propecia or topical spironolactone, and minoxidil or Tricomin.

Axon

Reaction score
Healthy Nick said:
Axon said:

How do you know that you can't regrow anymore hair?

How can you have 90-95% of your hair and still have a somewhat noticeable thinning area? Do you have any pictures?

1. How do I know? I don't. But given the precedent of the past year (no noticable improvements) and all the studies I've read, I doubt I can regrow any more hair within my current regimen. Which is fine with me.

2. I'm still missing maybe 10% of the hair I was born with (as a hypothetical, of course.) Not in the sense that a hair shaft needs to thin down to 50% to show balding, but in the sense that my crown, which was once a 4" by 4" thin patch from hell, has shrunk to maybe 2" by 2" or less.

When I get assistance from the hair in front, it is difficult to tell I am thinning in the back. But if I comb my hair forward, it is quite clear that I am balding to a certain degree. If you have a keen eye you can also see some loss on my hairline, although not much.

I do not have any photos save the one I took at baseline when I began my regimen. I had applied minoxidil and took a photo - I was so disgusted I refused to take any more pics.

If I could get my crown back, I'd never worry about hairloss again. Won't happen, though.