Hello lads I'm new here and looking for answers to know if I have male pattern baldness or diffuse thinning and if so how bad .

Bazza86

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've always shaved my head #0 (no guard) since I was about 16 years but 5 years ago at 30 years old I grew it out and it looked fine but I ended up going back to a shaved head just because I like the style. I am wanting to grow it back out again but I've noticed thinning on the top but I just want to know what kind of balding I have and how bad it is . Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_160728.jpg
    IMG_20210829_160728.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20210829_160659.jpg
    IMG_20210829_160659.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20210804_145058.jpg
    IMG_20210804_145058.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20210804_145101.jpg
    IMG_20210804_145101.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20210805_115137.jpg
    IMG_20210805_115137.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20210805_093356.jpg
    IMG_20210805_093356.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20210804_145104.jpg
    IMG_20210804_145104.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210805_093359.jpg
    IMG_20210805_093359.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 118

Bazza86

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply I'm pretty knew to all this hair stuff but yeah I agree there are much worse off then me but I will say that I grew it out last year to a #5 and the thinning is really bad !! I'm currently growing it out so I'll be able to post more pics in a few weeks at a longer length. Do you think it would eventually look better grown out to the point where I can comb it to the side ?? Thanks in advance .

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply I'm pretty knew to all this hair stuff but yeah I agree there are much worse off then me but I will say that I grew it out last year to a #5 and the thinning is really bad !! I'm currently growing it out so I'll be able to post more pics in a few weeks at a longer length. Do you think it would eventually look better grown out to the point where I can comb it to the side ?? Thanks in advance .
Yeah bro, from my experience, with thinner hair that mid stage is the most difficult to get through because it looks bad for a little while and you're tempted to buzz it again, but when it grows out more it probably looks much better

Bazza86

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Male pattern baldness comes in the form of recession and/or diffuse thinning

You have both

However you still have pretty good density

You can grow it out more but even now it looks fine.

A lot of bald guys would love to have the hair that you have. @doubleindemnity
A pic of my usual style bald bearded and the one with hair is the last time I grew it out 5 years ago. I've always had a high hairline so I'm not sure if my current hairline is due to male pattern baldness ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210728-174902.png
    Screenshot_20210728-174902.png
    397.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20210727-222931.png
    Screenshot_20210727-222931.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 111

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
A pic of my usual style bald bearded and the one with hair is the last time I grew it out 5 years ago. I've always had a high hairline so I'm not sure if my current hairline is due to male pattern baldness ??
I am under the impression that your natural hairline when you were a teenager was about 1cm lower

But it's probably been higher for a long time

You can always get a transplant so you can have a new hairline if you want, seems like you're a good candidate

Bazza86

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am under the impression that your natural hairline when you were a teenager was about 1cm lower

But it's probably been higher for a long time

You can always get a transplant so you can have a new hairline if you want, seems like you're a good candidate
Yeah it was slightly lower as a kid but from my early 20' I've always had the Frankenstein forehead and because I've always buzzed my head it's hard to compare pics to see if there has been a progression of balding. I would really like to be able to grow my hair out but not to the point of a hair transplant. I'm currently doing Nizoral twice each week, dermarolling once a week (1.5mm) and topical castor oil daily .

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd say you definitely have a lot of diffuse thinning and your crown region is starting to bald quite a bit.

It's great that you are already comfortable with the bald look. That's most men's biggest fear when it comes to hairloss.

So worst case scenario if you do lose a lot more hair, rocking the bald look will be easy for you.

However, if you want to try to keep your hair, there are a few options that you can try. And since your hair is cut at #0, applying topicals become so much easier for you.

I'd suggest trying Microneedling at 1.5mm once a week and then using Topical Minoxidil 5% afterwards.

And using topical Minoxidil 5% twice a day, everyday.

Possibly try Oral Minoxidil as well.

You do have hair left with decent density which is good. You probably could still save your hair if you're willing to put in effort.

Bazza86

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd say you definitely have a lot of diffuse thinning and your crown region is starting to bald quite a bit.

It's great that you are already comfortable with the bald look. That's most men's biggest fear when it comes to hairloss.

So worst case scenario if you do lose a lot more hair, rocking the bald look will be easy for you.

However, if you want to try to keep your hair, there are a few options that you can try. And since your hair is cut at #0, applying topicals become so much easier for you.

I'd suggest trying Microneedling at 1.5mm once a week and then using Topical Minoxidil 5% afterwards.

And using topical Minoxidil 5% twice a day, everyday.

Possibly try Oral Minoxidil as well.

You do have hair left with decent density which is good. You probably could still save your hair if you're willing to put in effort.
Thanks for the honesty Micky i appreciate that ! I agree the thinning has definitely started to increase plus my crown is really thinning too.

I'm currently microneedling once every Sunday with 1.5mm plus topical castor oil daily which I'm thinking of taking orally too and also nizoral twice per week.

I'm still on the fence with finasteride and minoxidil due to some of the bad reactions people have had with it and I'm not one for medications and chemicas i would much rather try the ", natural" way first and see how that goes.

Bazza86

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dam, you were kinda of an inspiration in the bald subreddit. Guess balding really sucks to everybody lol.
Anyway, it suits you both ways and i agree with @justinbieberscombover that ur density still looks fine.
Haha yeah man I've posted quite a bit on Reddit but I've recently been wanting to grow out my hair and it's not looking too good lol

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the honesty Micky i appreciate that ! I agree the thinning has definitely started to increase plus my crown is really thinning too.

I'm currently microneedling once every Sunday with 1.5mm plus topical castor oil daily which I'm thinking of taking orally too and also nizoral twice per week.

I'm still on the fence with finasteride and minoxidil due to some of the bad reactions people have had with it and I'm not one for medications and chemicas i would much rather try the ", natural" way first and see how that goes.
No problem! Yeah I prefered to be honest and not sugar coat it otherwise you'd think your hairloss wasn't worth fixing.

I fully agree with you being against Finasteride. I personally an totally against Finasteride, Dutasteride, or any anti-androgen that blocks DHT like those two do. Side effects are real and often permanent.

Yeah I'd say continue with what you're considering (Oral Castor Oil) in addition to your current regimen. You might want to consider that oral castor oil cause you to be running to the toilet a bit too often.

Regarding Minoxidil, I feel its one of the safest options we have currently. It doesn't cause as bad side effects as Finasteride/Dutasteride, and it also isn't as weak as the natural stuff can be.

It's often said that people lose their hair gains from Minoxidil when they stop using Minoxidil, but I think that shouldn't be of concern since we know we don't have a cure, so of course any treatment will need to continued consistently for maintained results.

Also, the reason why I lean more towards trying things like Minoxidil (but still NOT Finasteride/Dutasteride) because it's going to be until at least 2023 till we get an okay hairloss treatment (Pyrilutamide).

Have you noticed shedding after using Ketoconazole?

Bazza86

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem! Yeah I prefered to be honest and not sugar coat it otherwise you'd think your hairloss wasn't worth fixing.

I fully agree with you being against Finasteride. I personally an totally against Finasteride, Dutasteride, or any anti-androgen that blocks DHT like those two do. Side effects are real and often permanent.

Yeah I'd say continue with what you're considering (Oral Castor Oil) in addition to your current regimen. You might want to consider that oral castor oil cause you to be running to the toilet a bit too often.

Regarding Minoxidil, I feel its one of the safest options we have currently. It doesn't cause as bad side effects as Finasteride/Dutasteride, and it also isn't as weak as the natural stuff can be.

It's often said that people lose their hair gains from Minoxidil when they stop using Minoxidil, but I think that shouldn't be of concern since we know we don't have a cure, so of course any treatment will need to continued consistently for maintained results.

Also, the reason why I lean more towards trying things like Minoxidil (but still NOT Finasteride/Dutasteride) because it's going to be until at least 2023 till we get an okay hairloss treatment (Pyrilutamide).

Have you noticed shedding after using Ketoconazole?

Bazza86

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wait....you get shedding from Ketoconazole ??

To be honest I've only been using it for about 3 weeks along with the dermarolling and the castor oil and I've been keeping my hair buzzed so I can apply the castor oil close to the scalp but I'm going to let it grow out now so i can get a better idea if my hair is getting better or worse. One thing I've noticed though is that my hair on top is a lot darker where as before it was always lighter , I've heard castor oil can darken your hair so weather it's that or not I'm not sure.

I'm going to post another update pic on here next week to get people's opinions on how it's looking and get any advice that anyone has to give .

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wait....you get shedding from Ketoconazole ??

To be honest I've only been using it for about 3 weeks along with the dermarolling and the castor oil and I've been keeping my hair buzzed so I can apply the castor oil close to the scalp but I'm going to let it grow out now so i can get a better idea if my hair is getting better or worse. One thing I've noticed though is that my hair on top is a lot darker where as before it was always lighter , I've heard castor oil can darken your hair so weather it's that or not I'm not sure.

I'm going to post another update pic on here next week to get people's opinions on how it's looking and get any advice that anyone has to give .
I did, but it's possibly because I was using it way too often and leaving it on my scalp too long. But also, it's a very strong shampoo, so it probably could still cause a lot of shedding even if you don't use it often and leave it in your scalp for like 20 to 30 minutes.

Yeah growing out your hair will give you a better idea if you're shedding or how you are reacting to your regimen.

Last edited: